springy sound strat model numbers

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaintop

Reaction score
Hi fellow Tokai fans I would like to ask the experts what the difference is between a springy sound 60 and the 65model? any help would be appreciated thanks.

Hi there the 60 refers to the retail price, so 60,000 yen. Not sure about springys but The goldies has a TST40 model, TST50 and TST 55. The extra 5000 yen was for non standard / custom paint like metallic or with the matching headstock paint. The extra 5000 yen on a springy may have been for 2 piece body or nitro laquer but i'm not sure about those models.

you can see examples of these model numbers in my photo book preview (you dont have to buy it :), in the link below in my signature. Enjoy

Or the extra 5 may denote a non standard left hand model.Only the ST 80s and above were nitro finished

Did you check out the preview? It is more to do with the paint. TST 60s were 2 part body anyway. What colour is yours?

df751cbbd82786f2c1726fdc8ed0071c_zpsw9mzvrm5.jpg

Peter Mac, any ideas on manufacture dates from serial numbers? Plaintop is looking to date. How's your book coming on?

Thanks again guys this strat has a natural finish with 65 stamped below the last fret. Just as a point of interest there are variations in specs on some models i also have a tst 60 that i know is all original still has the 60 and MIJ stickers on the neck and the Tokia tweed case, and it has a three piece body,cheers

Hi Iain,

books been finished for a while - just trying to get it published at a reasonable price is my biggest hurdle.
Ok, to the guitar at hand . . .
Up until late 1982, the '5' at he end of the number indicated a Natural finish and nothing else. The 6 or so Custom colours that were offered along with the stock 5 colours were all the same price. With the advent of the Goldstar that changed. Natural and Custom colours were 5,000 yen extra.
To have the stamp at the end of the fingerboard means the serial number is before 0009600 which makes it 1980 or earlier.
sorry guys, I cant seem to find the pics . . .

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back