Help on identifying LS160

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LChewbacca

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm a recent user to this forum and I would like to thank everyone for any light you might shed on my problem.

I have the opportunity to buy a Tokai LS160 Goldtop. I had the guitar in my hand, I can confirm it is indeed japanese made. Has 7 digit serial begining with 09, which puts it in 2009, like the owner states.

However, two details don't add up. The owner said he changed the original condensers with orange drops, because "the old ones sucked". Also, the bridge doesn't have brass saddles. Shouldn't these two be stock in a LS160? The guitar does have a one-piece back and full maple cap, though.

Are these specs year related? The thicken the plot, the owner doesn't have certificate/receit and I hadn't the opportunity to check for the neck joint under the pickup.

Thank you for your assistance.

Here are some pictures:

892941215_1_644x461_tokai-ls-160-gold-top-almada_rev002.jpg

892941215_4_644x461_tokai-ls-160-gold-top-lazer_rev002.jpg

892941215_6_644x461_tokai-ls-160-gold-top-_rev002.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

LChewbacca said:
the bridge doesn't have brass saddles. Shouldn't these two be stock in a LS160?

I have read here before that they also come with nickel plated brass saddles.

Like felix says, they could easily be plated brass which is what I have on my Tonepros bridge. Try looking under the strings, there's a possibility the slot may be filed down to reveal the brass underneath.

Those are CTS pots in the cavity which are only found on the high end models. If they are factory original then you are good to go.

I always laugh when people talk about the quality of tone caps. Everything that goes into that part of the circuit is bled to ground, so you never hear the signal which passes through them. Unless the value is off for some reason how can they possibly 'suck'?

(Anyone who disagrees, I'll happily sell you my ultra high end Audionote copper foil paper-in-oil 0.022uF tone caps with silver conductive leads - I'm doing a big rewire project and will be replacing these with Orange Drops).

EDIT: pickups don't look original either - that's 4 conductor wiring in there, looks like it might be the Gibson colour scheme?

Thanks for your replies, Felix and Paladin.

You are correct, Paladin. The pickups have been changed.
So I shouldn't focus on hardware/electronics to pinpoint a model, but rather construction?

Check the tailpiece, is it aluminum (light as a feather)?
The brass saddles are sometime nickle plated...check the bridge, does it have Gotoh stamped underneath?
Check the toggle switch, it should have Switchcraft stamped on it.

Diamond said:
Check the tailpiece, is it aluminum (light as a feather)?
The brass saddles are sometime nickle plated...check the bridge, does it have Gotoh stamped underneath?
Check the toggle switch, it should have Switchcraft stamped on it.

These parts are not the definitive ID for the guitar model.
Can easily replaced
To make 100% sure, check guitar for one pcs. body and make the nitro test...
These are the features of a Tokai premium model

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I rather rely on construction aspects.
TBH, I can't tell finishes apart, but it is a one piece mohogony back and I confirmed long neck tenon, so I guess I'm a happy camper.

Back