• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Goldstar Sound on Ebay.uk

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik Lloyd

Reaction score
If anyone in the UK is interested. Going cheap (?300) for a quick sale.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2551632830&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:UK:1

Hi Nik,

Yep, I'm interested in that guitar. Only problem is, I know nothing at all about Tokai guitars :eek: .

Really I was looking for a Japanese made Fender Strat from 1982-88, and I'm watching two on eBay, but those are both in Japan, & I'm worried about them getting busted in transit, plus I'll have to pay $110 shipping & Vat & Duty of course .

But, from what you can see, do you and others here think that Goldstar on eBay looks original/genuine? Or does it look as if some bits have obviously been changed or whatever? I'm completely in the dark on this so any comments at all would be really helpfull, eg any idea of the date (I can email him for an S/N of course)?

What is the difference between a Goldstar and a Springy-Sound, or between the various model types eg AST-50, 60, 45 etc. Briefly, what should I be aware of with those?

Perhaps LondonBarry could also chip in with some advice on this, as I think I know you pretty well by now from the 18W Marshall site, :D LoL!

Thanks guys,

Ian (london).

Hi. I have sent guitars from Japan to few countries. I like to remove the neck and use a LOT of bubblewrap. So far, no problems, damage or additional charges. It does cost around that amount to ship from here, insured postal service. I write them up as gifts.

Hi Barry, Sneaky, et al;

Sneaky;- thanks for the reassurance over postage from Japan. Taking the neck off sounds like a sensible move (also deals with the issue of checking date codes on the neck joints). The two I?m looking at on eBay are from ?Katana?, ie 57 Re-Issue Fender in Black/Maple, and 62 Re-Issue JV Squier in Black/Rosewood.

Barry;- thanks for the Tokai info; rather naively I hadn?t spotted that Nik was actually the seller! Guess that means it?s probably all OK, but that Nik has others he likes better, :lol: LoL!

By the way, I meant to reply on 18W.com about the photo of your sunburst LP Love Rock;- very sweet guitar! Which model is that?

You know I always wanted a top like that ever since I was a kid & saw a Gibbo LP in a shop window in Denmark St., described as ?Curly Maple?. But although I?ve had about half a dozen guitars over the years, for one reason or other I?ve always ended up with boring solid colours. And now I?m looking at a white one from Nik, or 2 black ones from Japan, :lol: LoL!

Thanks for the info guys,

Ian.

Hi All,
You've rumbled me, it is Mine !
I have got a few in my collection that I am going to try to sell over the next few weeks. All date from around 1984. I am trying to raise some money for a Les Paul.

1- The one on Ebay now. Body has a few knocks, frets are a bit low. 6 digit serial number. Has had a different scratchplate on at some time, but now has genuine Tokai single ply. Grey bottomed, staggered pole pick ups, Final Prospec saddles and Deluxe nickel tuners.

2- Black Goldstar Sound with Rosewood board. L serial number. 3 ply plate, Grey bottomed, staggered pole pick ups, Final Prospec saddles and Deluxe nickel tuners. Near nil fretwear. Completely original. A few minor knocks only.

3- Black Goldstar Sound with Maple board. 6 digit serial number. single ply plate, frets are a bit low. Grey bottomed, staggered pole pick ups, Final Prospec saddles and Deluxe nickel tuners. Was originally sunburst now Black but looks old. A few minor knocks only.

4- White Goldstar Sound with Maple board. 6 digit serial number. single ply plate, frets are a bit low. Grey bottomed, staggered pole pick ups, Final Prospec saddles and Deluxe nickel tuners. A bit relicy to look at plays and sounds great. Has had different tuners at some time but now has originals fitted.

Being totally honest No2 is the best for originality and condition. But the others are all great, well played Strats that Im sure will not dissapoint. If anyone is interested please e mail me on [email protected]

Thanks
Nik

Hi Nik,

Thanks for all the info.

Guitar sounds good, but maybe the Frets are a bit low for me.

Barry;- sorry to hassle you on this, but;- in answer to Paulos you posted a link to a Jap site called J-Guitar.com, which shows a lovely looking sunburst Springy-Sound.

But unfortunately I can't make much sense of the Japanese on that site :eek: ! Is that Springy an original guitar circa. 1980? If it is, & assuming it's OK I'd happily buy that. Only thing is I can't even make out how to contact them to buy it :roll: !

Ian.

Ian,
You (or anyone else interested) are welcome to pop up to Birmingham to try any of my guitars, no obligation. I have 9 at last count and I would be open to offers on maybe 5 of them. Or I could meet you half way, we could busk at Oxford Services on the M40 ! If you are new to Tokai Guitars you could just have a look without taking the risk of buying something blind from Japan. There again as most on this forum will confirm, It would be difficult to find a bad Tokai ! I have pictures of all of these guitars if anyone would like them, including closeups of body cavity (ooh er !) and electrics. Drop me an e-mail if interested.
All the best with your search
Nik

Just a point of info - Niks pricing seems about right for a Tokai. These were real popular in the mod eighties when USA Strats were pretty poor. The Tokai was seen around a lot amongst good players at that time. I've just bought my first 1984 Goldstar Sound at ?350. I have seen people talk about getting these for less but who knows what the condition is like on these posts? My first impression - I now know why those guys in the eighties loved these guitars so much. These have got to be the most undervalued guitars around at this quality.

Hi Nick, Barry, Sneaky, & all,

First I must thank everyone for the excellent info. & advice. Especially Nick for being so straight in describing his Goldstar & even offering a ?try before you buy? service;- I do realise it?s a nice vintage guitar at a good price!

However, overnight (4am. Monday morning!) I got lucky with the eBay auction for those two 1980?s Jap Fenders. Strangely, the rather battered JV-Squier sold for much more than the mint Fender 57 re-issue. Needless to say I bought the 57 8) .

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed & hope that it was a straight deal & that it gets here in one piece, :roll: !

Still, my brief ?brush? with Tokai has left me with a genuine interest in these guitars. So I?ll keep watching the Forum & try to pick up some more knowledge before getting seriously stuck in for an early original Springy, Breezy, or Love Rock.

Many thanks,

Ian.

there is more to removing the necks for shipping... since 9-11 the US postal service changed the restrictions on boxes from Japan. I am limited on size for other Europen countries also, so I must remove the neck to cut the box dimensions down.
Fender Japan JV strats... JV stands for Japan Vintage. I have a 1982 JV strat, though it is cool considering it was made just a couple of months after they began production that year, it is not my best FJ strat. My 80`s FJ`s came stock with full size pots and US made switches, in some cases with US pick-ups too. Greta guitars. The newer FJ`s I have are shipped with the flimsy pots and plastic switches. I stay away from the low end FJ`s so I have Texas special pick-ups . Any idea on the model of `57 you bought? Year? I guess you know they make several versions of the `57 strat, some high end and some entry level models.

Hi Sneaky,

Thanks for all the detailed info!

No, I didn?t know they made different quality levels of 57 re-issue, at least not on 1980?s guitars.

OK, it?s the one sold on eBay by Takahiro Nasu of Katana Guitars (if you?ve seen that?). Just to be clear, this one is the "1988 Fender Japan", not the JV Squier (I didn't buy the 1982 JV Squier);- it?s as follows;-

Black with maple neck & maple fret-board
S/N is E911866, ie printed on base of neck (near joint with body)
The words ?Made in Japan? also printed on base of the neck (just above S/N)
Small headstock
Vintage type Kluson-style tuners with slotted ends
Fender ?Spaghetti? logo on headstock
Single Butterfly string-guide
Scratchplate in one layer with 8 fixing screws
Vintage-style bridge/saddles
Pickups described as ?Fender USA Original Vintage?
Body described as ?Alder? (weight given as 8.15 lbs.)
Truss rod adjust at headstock (& skunk-stripe)
Date of Manufacture given as ?1988? (although E serial No. is always listed as 1984 to 87)

What do you think :eek: ?

If it ever arrives I'll try to post a photo (I've allready paid him by the way), :lol: LoL!

Many Thanks,

Ian.

Hi... in those days they often penciled in the day, month and year on the neck butt, which may explain the precise date. If it is alder then it`s not the low end models, which are basswood so thats good. Truss rod at the headstock for a `57? haven`t seen that before. Then again Fender Japan make a lot of models. Sounds nice, hope it works out well for you. Alwyas like to see pics, the more I know the better.

Hi Sneaky,

Forget to say; neck described as ?one piece solid maple?. I took no notice of that (due to my ignorance!), but I just saw complaints elsewhere on this Form about some Jap guitars with 3 or 4 piece necks.

Ian.

Hi, I haven`t seen those necks on Femder Japans. One piece or capped is very common, Yamaha sometimes make mulitple piece necks but on their budget models. Sounds more and more like you got a nice one.

Hi Sneaky,

OK, this is a Tokai Forum, so I won?t ?debase? it any more with news of my Jap Fender (except, if you?d like, maybe some photos when & if it arrives), :lol: LoL!

But one last thing;- I probably misled you about the Truss Rod. Again this was ignorance on my part;- I just saw the little V-shaped notch on the headstock (behind the nut) & decided that meant ?truss adjust at h-stock? :eek: . But now I look more closely, there also seems a tiny gap/slot at the body end of the neck, ie where it joins the scratch plate.

Reason I didn?t worry about the neck or truss-rod, is because it looks identical to any original 1957 vintage Strat or Fender US 57 re-issue. By way of comparison, I did note that the 62 re-issue has NO notch in the h-stock (I presume that definitely means adjustment at the body end).

Thanks for all your info. (it?s truly a great help to me, ta!),

Ian.

Hi, don`t think we`ll get banned for talking about Fenders, they`re guitars aren`t they? So if I get this right, the truss rod is at the base of the neck? More like the 50`s MIJ Fenders I have seen. We`d all like to see pics when you get it eh fellas?
keep us posted.
You`re welcome for the info, " ta " is a word I haven`t heard for sometime... me mum is from London, Ealing actually. War bride. She`s in Canada so I don`t get to hear the Queens English much over here. I have family scattered all over England.

By the way, changing the subject back to the original thread. I have thrown in a Hard Case and Free UK postage for my Cream Goldy if anyone is interested out there.
Cheers
Nik

Hi Sneaky,

Ealing :eek: ? Wow, now that?s real close!

I live in Chiswick (5 min. drive), lived here all my life. Maybe ?Ta? is West London ?speak?, :lol: LoL!

Cheers,

Ian.

ps; I only use ?LoL? in an effort to make sense to the US guys here!

Back