Goldstar Sound TST80-ET???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindum52

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I've just bought a Goldstar Sound which, if the photos are correct, is as follows:

TST80 - '80' sticker on heel
Matching body and neck codes (neck: 9=10 body 9=10 GS AX)
'A' stamped scratchplate
GS sunburst colour
Tokai VI pickups
'ET' (Extra Tokai) locking bridge and nut
Round string retainer
The headstock decal is definitely 'Goldstar', and not 'Super Edition, etc.
7-digit serial, not 4 - I've heard someone else with an '84 TST80 with 7-digits.

My question is - has anybody seen one of these before. I haven't had it delivered yet, but it looks like an '84/85. All the soldering looks original, and its just a shame they aren't 'E' pickups. You don't see many, if any, TST80s here in the UK. I'll do the acetone test when it arrives, but some have said even the 80s don't necessarily have nitro finishes?

I also have a TST60 or 80 - 'E' pickups, round retainer, V-neck, etc, and a TST50. Do you think I should swap the bridge on this for a Final Prospec one, and fill the holes left by the locking nut, or is it better off left original?

s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/P4UAAOSwXeJYIOa3/s-l1600.jpg

Lindum52 said:
Hi all,

So, I've just bought a Goldstar Sound

Hi welcome and congrats.

Lindum52 said:
My question is - has anybody seen one of these before. I haven't had it delivered yet, but it looks like an '84/85. All the soldering looks original, and its just a shame they aren't 'E' pickups. You don't see many, if any, TST80s here in the UK.

A mid 80s ST80 Goldstar Sound is very rare, I can't say I have seen one yet.

Lindum52 said:
I'll do the acetone test when it arrives, but some have said even the 80s don't necessarily have nitro finishes?

And since I haven't seen a ST80 Goldstar Sound, I can only comment on ST80 Springy Sound. To my knowledge all ST80 Springys have Nitro finish.

Excellent news. I've just bought a Final Prospec tremolo unit from a great contact in the US, and I'm going to carefully fir that, to bring it to 50s spec. I'll keep the locking one, for originality.

I've never seen mention of a TST80-ET, but I know the 84 catalog has the TST70-ET in metallic red, and there was a 100 too - but they were generally the BB all black finish.

Luckily the tremolo cavity is standard.

Now... how to tell my wife...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ZJ00vV2eo Hi,i have an all original 84 Goldie ST80 It has black bottomed DImarzio VS 1s,a slab board,final Prospec bridge , Tokai stamped tuners and a nitro finish.There are very few around ,I know of one other with this spec(There is a link to my guitar above) .Your guitar though is a strange beast,the V1 pickups,the 1981Springy body(according to the serial number on the neck plate)the 80 sticker,the hastily improvised 3 piece decal and the ET bridge leads me to believe that this was cobbled together from various bits and pieces .The good news though is that I am sure this was done at the factory some time in 84.I would bet the finish is nitro too.I were you I would keep the ET bridge especially as you already have an ST60 and a 50.Why not vive la difference?

bluejeannot said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ZJ00vV2eo Hi,i have an all original 84 Goldie ST80 It has black bottomed DImarzio VS 1s,a slab board,final Prospec bridge , Tokai stamped tuners and a nitro finish.There are very few around ,I know of one other with this spec(There is a link to my guitar above)

Nice guitar bluejeannot 8), missed that particular vid :oops:. Now I can finally say I saw a ST80 Goldstar. :wink:

Great video! I've just got it, and it is nitro, and it's cracking beautifully along the grain. The 'V' of the neck is much more pronounced than the 60, and overall it's stunning. In fact, it's even coming close to my one-piece swamp ash bodied 56' replica I had made with all the very finest specs.

I also think your theory about being put together in the factory is spot on. As well as the 81 serial, the tuners are the older 'Tokai' stamped ones from a Springy. The jack plate seems to be nickel, not chrome, and has dulled beautifully. It's light - although a the tremolo weighs more than a vintage, so I've bought a Final Prospec unit (on it's way from the US, along with a tuner to replace the one with a broken string post). I just don't really like the whole locking trem thing aesthetically.

The VIs actually sound really good. These are later Goldstar PUps, aren't they?

All the codes match.

The TST60 is an odd one too, although everything seems to be original apart from the scratchplate (the guy I got it from had put a black one on, and then lost the single-ply, so don't know if it's A or B stamped). The neck plate started with a V (since replaced with a 4-digit). The codes don't match. The neck is 11=5, the pickup route is 10=1, and the control cavity is 10=2 GS Z. It's got the brass plate (untouched soldering), and everything just seems 'right', despite the oddities.

Oh, and bluejeannot, you did well to spot the three piece decal... I didn't until today! Do you think it could be an early one, following the block-letter logo?

I reckon I was lucky to be the only bidder at £300!!!

Back