Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought a new Love Rock - which model is it??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muttleynet
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Just bought a new Love Rock - which model is it?? Reply with quote

Just purchased a new Love Rock on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2547550787&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:UK:6

Firstly - what do you think? - how did I do?

The seller calls it an ALC70 but my assumption is that this is an LS60 or LS65.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, looks like an LS65 to me. Pretty decent price you got on it too.

Last edited by Paladin2019 on Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
C-4
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't a Tokai with the prefix starting wih an "A" a Korean model? The price is too low for one made in Japan. The new 2003 Tokai Japanese plaintop Les Pauls are called LS75's and should be going for about 699 pounds as per the Wizard web page, which likes to charge list price AT LEAST.

It is a nice guitar but I believe you didn't get an extraordinary deal.
I used a currency converter and 599 pounds is $971. in US dollars. I just purchased from Japan, an LS85Q and my price including shipping, import duty, a case, and all the other things was on $915 delivered. I got it last Friday, 7/25/03. Mine has a true Gibson headstock, and yours appears from the picture to have the altered Gibson headstock. No offense intended, but if you purchased that guitar from a British dealer, you got taken. You could have purchased it directly from Japan and gotten a better model for the same money, or possibly paid less for the same guitar.

It is a beautiful model that you have and I hope that you enjoy playing it, but do some checking up to see how well you really did. I could be wrong about this.
muttleynet
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and info chaps. I did double check the origin of the guitar with the dealer and they gave me both written and verbal assurance that this is a Japanese model.

I am also led to believe that the Japanese models have the two screw truss cover as apposed to the three screws on Korean models and the cavity covers on MIJ's are black rather than cream.

The dealer has a very good track record so lets hope that this guitar is genuine. If its not MIJ it WILL BE GOING BACK.
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
muttleynet
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a real good vibe about this guitar....

now where's that delivery boy???

I'll give a full report (serial no. etc.) when the guitar turns up.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think C4 was referring to tokai prices in the UK generally, but yes he forgot about duty and VAT.

The high price phenomenon is called Rip-Off Britain. And because it applies to imports we can't go elsewhere to get stuff cheaper. Apparently we're compensated by higher GNP but it still gratyes when we have to pay in ? what US-ers pay in $.
C-4
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you one and all for the insightful information! I am glad to have read this as it appeared to me that it was Korean, BUT I am glad it is not Korean.
It's always good to keep learning new stuff and I sincerely appreciate you all helping me get it straight.
I had been thinking about getting an LS75 myself for the same reasons you got your plaintop, but if the LS85Q sounds this good with a laminated top, I can imagine how resonant the LS200 and LS320 must sound!

By the way, does anyone know if Peter Mac is an Austrailian Tokai dealer?

Thank you all for being patient with my ignorance of the Tokai line. I am trying to get a handle on it all and everything I learn here from each of you really helps to put more of the puzzle in place for me.
Stephen
muttleynet
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-4 - It's good to kick this stuff around and challenge everyones knowledge here, particularly because the information resources regarding Tokai instruments appear to be both scarce and sometimes slightly ambiguous.

Thanks for your input.
Novosel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: I'm getting all warm and fuzzy Reply with quote

GROUP HUG!!

muttleynet
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so the guitar was delivered within 24 hours of the sale closing on ebay!!

Im still not sure which model I have however it has Made in Japan stamped on the back with a serial number of 0306307. I have to say that the photographs really did not do this guitar justice it really is a stunner!

I think that LondonBarry was spot on with his reference to the dealer cutting and pasting the deatails - they did have two other Love Rock variants up for sale at the same time as this one. Given that wen now know it is a 2003 guitar I guess that the model is an LS60 or LS65.

BTW: It sounds pretty good too I have some seymour duncan pup's hanging around but I wont be dropping them in this guitar - the stock pup's sound great (contrary to other comments I have read).
C-4
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you about the pickups! They do sound wonderful. Actually smoother and more ear-pleasant then my Gibson '57 PAFs!
Felipe Nacif
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, looks like a winner!

Make sure to put some CTS pots and Orange drops. They will only add to your tone. If you like the stock pickups, wait until you hear with these parts!
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: