Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is History Just Plain Better than Gibson?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheNewSteveH
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Is History Just Plain Better than Gibson? Reply with quote

I have been playing my History ZSA-CFS (ES335 clone) recently, and I have also picked up a new Gibson electric. (ES195).

The History is a relatively cheap guitar. You can find used ones online for around 800 USD. But when I compare it to the Gibson, it doesn't just seem comparable. It seems completely superior in every possible way, except for the action. Gibsons are run through a Plek machine prior to shipping, so I suppose it makes sense that the Gibson's action is just as good as the History's.

The History's workmanship is flawless. The wood is perfect. The hardware is top-notch. The Gibson, on the other hand, has finish problems and a defect in one fretboard marker. It just generally feels like a lower-grade instrument.

Am I missing something here? I would love to get a nice ES335-355 with single-coil pickups and a Bigsby, but it really looks like it would be a major step down from Japanese.

I have a 1990s Blueshawk, which is a great player's guitar, and the finish is not good. I have a 1966 J200 which looks like it was a masterpiece when it was new. Not sure what to think.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it says Gibson on the headstock doesn't mean it's automatically a better guitar. As far as i know History brand guitars were all made by Fujigen, and they are no slouches when it comes to making a guitar.

I have an old History Jazz box that i picked up 2nd hand locally for $300 Canadian, with the original hardshell case. I'm with you. Why buy overpriced goods ?? I don't even want to know what Gibson would want for a similar guitar.

currypowder
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I picked up a high end 2005 History SH-L2. Spec-wise, it is on par with my Tokai LS-320 and anything that comes out of Gibson's Custom Shop. 1 piece Honduras Mahogany body, Jacaranda Rosewood fretboard, maple neck binding, quilted maple top. Made by Fujigen with great fit and finish, playability and tone. It wasn't cheap, but about half of what I paid for the 320 and probably about a third or less for what a comparable Gibson would cost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: