ALS55 / ALS60 (LH)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quiksilver78

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about the above models, if I may.

According to the Tokai catalogue, it says that they're made of mahogany, yet some sites mention Alder or Basswood as the body. It is really mahogany? Or do these stores just messed up the description?

The type of body wood was changed 3 years ago.
Tokai use African mahogany for bodies in to ALS/ALC Traditional series guitars.
The necks are made from hard maple.
Recently they began to produce cheaper guitars, These guitars are also made in China, but in another factory. The new series is called "Legacy" and LP guitar bodies are made from basswood again. I have not seen them yet.

Hey thanks for the reply.

I'm still confused :(

Does the ALS55L have Alder or Basswood?

Does the ALS60L have African Mahogany then?

Thanks again!

Quiksilver78 said:
Hey thanks for the reply.

I'm still confused :(

Does the ALS55L have Alder or Basswood?

Does the ALS60L have African Mahogany then?

Thanks again!

Tokai ALS60L must have African Mahogany body. Regarding the ALS55L I'm not sure, but most ALS guitars made since middle of 2013 come with mahogany body. You have to check the serial number.
2013 is transitional year for body wood on ALS/ALC guitars and this can vary depending on the dealer and the date of manufacture.

stratlt said:
Tokai ALS60L must have African Mahogany body. Regarding the ALS55L I'm not sure, but most ALS guitars made since middle of 2013 come with mahogany body. You have to check the serial number.
2013 is transitional year for body wood on ALS/ALC guitars and this can vary depending on the dealer and the date of manufacture.

I'll check with the shop what the serial number is.

So it's safe to say that if the shop advertises it as "Alder" it really means Basswood? from the Catalogues, it seems like they have never produced an Alder body Love Rock (Traditional)

Regarding the combination - they all have maple necks (rosewood fingerboard, of course) - what would be a good combo then? Mahogany + Maple (Like on 335s I believe) or Basswood + Maple?

To get 'closer' to a traditional Les Paul sound?

Quiksilver78 said:
stratlt said:

I'll check with the shop what the serial number is.

So it's safe to say that if the shop advertises it as "Alder" it really means Basswood? from the Catalogues, it seems like they have never produced an Alder body Love Rock (Traditional)

Regarding the combination - they all have maple necks (rosewood fingerboard, of course) - what would be a good combo then? Mahogany + Maple (Like on 335s I believe) or Basswood + Maple?

To get 'closer' to a traditional Les Paul sound?

Many of Norlin era Gibson Les Pauls are made with maple neck. Gibson Zakk Wylde signature LP come with maple neck (and maple fingerboard). Mahogany + Maple combo is o.k. Usually most of the Les Pauls bodies are made with maple top and mahogany back. I did not hear about the current Tokai ALS bodies from Alder, but I know that some Gibson studios in past were made from Alder.

Back