Tokai Love Rock Special

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank

Reaction score
First, thanks Ned for getting me on board.

Second: I recently acquired a double cutaway "Special" that has two p-90's, TV yellow mahogany flat body, typical volume/tone controls. It has three screws in the truss rod cover and no serial number. The neck appears to be maple under the yellow TV color.

Any idea on model name and age? I believe it to be Korean. The guy that owned it said he'd had it about eight years. I'm just going on his word on the age.

What a great guitar. Thanks for any help and I look forward to participating.

hank

8 years....I for one believe him....he travelled to 2000 in 1995 to buy it and then returned.
Get in touch with Mikes Music about its age...the 2 pickup Specials were never a production model so the odds are that Mike might know the history better than the seller.

Peter Mac

Here's a pic of the body. Still looking for info if anyone has any. Thanks, hank

64_p15320.jpg

Hi,

I owned one of those once - I regret trading it now! It was a very fine axe and a LOT of fun to play. I did some research (including contacting Mike) and it seems they were indeed made in Korea

Congratulations!

Rob

Wow what a beauty .... congrats to a really nice guitar.

I've been searching for a japanese Les Paul Special DC in TV yellow for some months now at Ebay and japanese webshops but haven't seen anyone. Not even a picture on one, although I've heard from several people that they were made (Jr's I've found but I want a Special). The Specials are fantastic, P90's :D , I've got a cherry Gibson and want a TV yellow too but can't afford a historic Gibson and don't like the new faded ones.

I understand that this Tokai model seems to be quiet rare? If anyone got any info on where I might find one for sale I'll really appreciate that. Thanks.

Thanks for the input. I was planning on getting one of the faded yellow Gibsons similar to this. They are pretty good for the buck, however, this Tokai seems to appeal to me more. hank

I noticed Aire Guitars on E-Bay are selling the genuine faded Gibson for ?679 but it has the seperate bridge and tailpiece as opposed to the Single stopbar type on the Tokai. If anyone knows of another Tokai like the one in the picture, I too would like one, I think its gorgeous !

Back