1985 Tokai LS What?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6StringSuicide

Reaction score
Hello. Just got another Tokai Love Rock LS from Japan, and can't figure out what model number it is. Can anyone help? Here are the details. No model number at the end of the fret board or in any of the pickup cavities, on piece mahogany neck, two piece top that appear to be flamed and not just a flamed veneer, and a three piece back. The pickups are unmarked, appear identical, although one cover has been removed. It has a seven digit serial number on the back of the headstock that reads 503XXXX. The guitar is not for sale, I am just trying to figure out what it is - would like to get another honestly. Just an awesome guitar. Thank you! Here is the original ebay listing I got it from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-LS-1985-Sunburst-Guitar-w-soft-case-RefNo-75624-/181873208243?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=FP7T5Pwpqn06n7b7RPObZW2Yf2Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

That seller specializes in Tsunami damaged guitars and he hides things, I think he's a bit of a weasel so watch him... does it have FEB?

Thank you for the clarification. The frets are not like my R8/R9's were the binding goes over part of the fret ends. Does this mean it was refretted? Do Tokai's have LP like nibs? Thank you for the clarification, and the info about the seller. The guitar doesn't appear to have any water damage, but the controls/pots were all loose. Was expecting to put in a RS control/pots kit with bumblebees but after I tightened them up they work flawlessly and I like the sound enough not to mess with them or the pickups. Just a sweet guitar. Any idea what it is? The three piece back with a flame top (veneer or solid) doesn't make sense looking at the info I've come across. I also bought a 1985 Tokai catalog, but it looks different. Especially the "Bell" truss rod cover instead of the one I was expecting based on the catalog.

Here's what I think, serial number say 1985, the truss rod cover is not original and it's either a 50 model because of the absence of fret edge binding or it's been refretted and the feb is gone and it's a higher model.

Without a lot of pictures including the cavities and without testing the finish for nitro it's going to be hard to say for sure.

Post lots of pics and wait for the experts is your best bet.

I'll add on to the previous and say I don't trust this seller either. Personal experience (I ended up not buying) as well as warnings from others I trust

If you got a great one from him - that's great though !

Latest posts

Back