Help. Expert needed to identify mystery goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunburst

Reaction score
Forgive me as this guitar is already the subject of a post - "Real or Fake.".
I think we could say the item is a Tokai. Is it a refinished 1984? Is it a modern reissue from a different country to Japan? I bought it from a dealer in Japan and almost went to return it as it just looked brand new and is meant to be 30 years old!!!?
Judge for yourselves...

http://jamesporter.slickpic.com/share/Nc44QDUUjQNZNU/albums/_1562/photo?view=10886916#10887191

The only clues I have are as follows and just mean to sight that the obvious has already been covered...

1. It appears to have a 1984 logo on the headstock - but whether that is just a sticker logo or not?
2. The stamps 7=3 match up - inside the pickup routes it has also 7=3 then a space then GS then a space then X
3. The body routes look like a 1983 body - it is two piece nitro but not a great quality job (refinished!?)
4. It appears different to the later re-issue GS100 etc.
5. Electronics have been changed with predominantly quality US parts, i.e. a USA CTRL switch, CTS linear pots and an orange drop cap plus a steel trem block has been added. The saddles are unnamed. The pickups are Ceramic - go figure !?
6. The best my experts in Sydney can say are these comments. "I don't know.", "Probably a Tokai", "The neck looks refinished" and "I'm pretty sure it's a re-issue from China"

Was advertised and sold as a (suggested) 1980's Tokai Goldstar TST-100? although I think we can safely say at least the latter is unlikely.

Thanks experts please chime in - Mike

Read this thread and my comments.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=177845&highlight=#177845

Thank you so much. I called Peter McGovern today as he lives 10 mins from me and has offered to help me set it up. I finally paid $399 - so with due respect to James - he did drop the price considerably on finding out it is a TST-50. Actually it may even be a three piece. My friend Piers Crocker is putting a bone nut in and what I really need now to come out of this smelling of roses and not the other stuff is some pickup advice...

Currently on the menu are...
Fralin Vintage hots
Slider handwound '59's from original parts
Chevalier Pickups
Lollar Vintage Blondes
Bare Knuckle Mothers Milk
Fat 50's
CS 54
Wolftone Flashback
Rumpelstiltskin Gypsy
Seymour Antiquity II Surfer

pretty much in that order - where the goal is warm throaty Hendrix vibe with A M A Z I N G distorted sound. Usually I just whack in some original old 50's Fender pickups and I do have some at hand as well as original '65's etc. and old Mustangs - but I then tend to loose the 2 and 4 positions integrity at times (and at other times they come out +++). Also tried a Blender circuit on one of my strats that rocks my ship nicely and have plentiful buckets of old wax capacitors to hit that '58 vibe up. OK - warm, FAT, dark with a good grind - which pickup for the TST-100 - I mean TST=50 guys???

Thanks, Mike Bloomfield
(and don't feel too sorry for me with my original '58 deluxe amp and LS120 Burst with Real Pafs in the other hand plus lots more VERY nice toys ;-)

Latest posts

Back