Looking for info on a goldstar sound strat....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondon

Reaction score
Hi all, new here and looking for a bit of info on the best guitar i have ever owned.
She`s a black strat replica with a fantastic one piece maple neck with a skunk stripe down the back and one string retainer. The decal on the headstock reads goldstar sound and also "oldies but goodies". I bought her second hand eight years ago and since then i have sold two gibson les pauls three charvel abominations and a kramer but will not part with this amazing guitar, she`s a BEAUTY!
I`ve tried out a lot of fender guitars including some very expensive vintage models and to be honest not one has played or sounded as well as my "Betsy". The serial number is 227239 and is on the neck plate.
Any information would be very much apreciated,
Cheers, jonnie.

Would Peter Mac be willing to sumarise his knowledge on the serial numbers once and for all? I still find it difficult to use the Registrys "Date your Tokai" page with any accuracy, and these queries seem to be asked over and over on the Forum.
For instance - 6 digits = pre 1985
L = post 1981
The only certain guide I can see is that any Strat with the Traditional Small Pre-CBS type headstock is pre-1986.
A previous member posted a theory that the neck and body cavity markings held clues to the date of the Guitar, but I now have 10 Tokai Strats and cannot find a common reference to support this.
What do you think Peter ?
Thanks for any advice
Nik

Hi Guys,

No.. i would not like to summarise my knowledge on serials numbers once and for all because it is INCOMPLETE!!!!

However, 6 digits is not just pre-85, post '85 used them also.
eg: TST-40's had 6 digit, "original" series and models had them too. The TE-200 was an 'original' creation, not a 1948 ` 1964 replica - comprende.
The thing is this...you guys are trying to date them sequentially..Tokai didn't do this, they used a more 3 demensional type of serial number sequence, which i have about cracked about 65% of.

Nik, if you email me info about your 10 Tokais i will date them as close as possible for you. [email protected]
I prefer that private information given remains that way. OK
My goal is to help you create a better understanding and appreciation of what you own - not to help some eBay person get an extra $500.

Please understand that whilst i am happy to help Ned and the site as much as possible, it is has attracted a lot of dealers who 'twist' the information to push up the prices of Tokai. The info i am not willing to share publicly is so dealers and/or lowlifes don't have a complete picture to create forgeries.

i look forward to your feedback

Peter Mac

You could say that this website is a victim of its own success then !
The more we rave about these great guitars the more popular they become and possibly more open to abuse. I have sent a private e-mail to Peter Mac as he requested and hope he will help advise me on my collection. Ive added a few posts of advice over the months to try and help with the experience I have gained by owning over 14 Tokais over the years, but would not claim to have the knowledge that you guys have. But hope you dont mind when I make comments or offer advise based on my own experience. I totally blame this site for my present poor financial situation, I am totally hooked on Tokais ! How can I justify owning 10 Springys/Goldys and a Burny Les Paul and only playing once a week at rehearsal for 3 hours. Love it though, different guitar every week !! Also I am sure most of us have bought or sold on E-bay at some time ( I admit I have) but where else can you get such coverage ?
Thanks Guys
Nik

Back