Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help buying a new Tokai
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guitarrista
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Need help buying a new Tokai Reply with quote

Hi,

Iīm new to Tokai world. I have the oportunity to buy a 1980 Tokai Silver Star and iīm really interested. I would like to know what should i check to make sure itīs a real Tokai, made in Japan.

Many thanks!
Suki
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 1980, it will have a model number stamp on the last fret of the fingerboard.

The logo will be spaghetti type, and the serial number will be on the headstock and start with a 0.

Otherwise, it will be a very faithful replica of the 70's strat: 3 bolt neck, large headstock, cast (not pressed) bridge saddles, 3 ply pickguard (sometimes in black), D-shaped tuner casings, etc.

There will be no stamps or markings on the neck plate, and the Pickups will be grey-bottomed and with no ink stamp.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tokai+silver+star+1980&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI1dWz2PnpxwIVwgMaCh39xQNv
Guitarrista
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suki wrote:
If it's a 1980, it will have a model number stamp on the last fret of the fingerboard.

The logo will be spaghetti type, and the serial number will be on the headstock and start with a 0.

Otherwise, it will be a very faithful replica of the 70's strat: 3 bolt neck, large headstock, cast (not pressed) bridge saddles, 3 ply pickguard (sometimes in black), D-shaped tuner casings, etc.

There will be no stamps or markings on the neck plate, and the Pickups will be grey-bottomed and with no ink stamp.

Thank you!! Do you have any other tips? Maybe if i disassemble it, i could check for what is writen in the neck and body, maybe a stamp, signature, number?
Guitarrista
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the pictures on google images and didnt see any model number stamp on the last fret
Suki
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be very faint. it needs to be a close-uo for you to see it.
Guitarrista
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suki wrote:
It might be very faint. it needs to be a close-uo for you to see it.

Is there a way to check the serial number? What should it be?
Suki
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 digit, beginning with 0
Guitarrista
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suki wrote:
7 digit, beginning with 0

I ended up buying it. The serial is 9001430. Is there a way to know the year of production by the serial number? I read somewhere that is impossible to date Fender replicas using the serial number. The seller told me itīs 1980, i donīt know if thatīs correct. In the neck itīs writen 36.
Suki
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1979 SS36
Guitarrista
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suki wrote:
1979 SS36

Is it a good year? Iīve heard early 80s is the best
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitarrista wrote:
Suki wrote:
1979 SS36

Really? Where did you hear that?

It's not just about the year - it's about the spec of the guitar. The higher the model number (36, 60, etc), the higher the spec - better electronics, hardware, perhaps wood, etc. SS36 is a good guitar but it's a lower spec Silver Star
Guitarrista
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Guitarrista wrote:
Suki wrote:
1979 SS36

It's not just about the year - it's about the spec of the guitar. The higher the model number (36, 60, etc), the higher the spec - better electronics, hardware, perhaps wood, etc. SS36 is a good guitar but it's a lower spec Silver Star

Thanks for your reply, i didnīt know that. I wonder if there is a diference in woods. I changed all the electronics, so that part is covered. The hardware looks the same to me compared to other ss60 i saw on google images. By diferent hardware, you mean quality of materials or specs?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitarrista wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:
Guitarrista wrote:
Suki wrote:
1979 SS36

Thanks for your reply, i didnīt know that. I wonder if there is a diference in woods. I changed all the electronics, so that part is covered. The hardware looks the same to me compared to other ss60 i saw on google images. By diferent hardware, you mean quality of materials or specs?

Tuners, saddles, three bolt or four bolt neck, etc......

Read this thread..... if you scroll down a couple posts from the top, you'll find a chart that breaks down all of the Silverstar models and what's in them:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=153453&sid=e4719f001c7f9418304a2a8882521c70
Guitarrista
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Guitarrista wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:
Guitarrista wrote:
Suki wrote:
1979 SS36

Tuners, saddles, three bolt or four bolt neck, etc......

Read this thread..... if you scroll down a couple posts from the top, you'll find a chart that breaks down all of the Silverstar models and what's in them:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=153453&sid=e4719f001c7f9418304a2a8882521c70

There is no info on the chart for the 36, only 38 and up. But i guess it all comes down to color and pickups (the higher end models have 4 bolt and/or schaller and dimarzio). Is this "Castor Arabia" Zen wood (japanese ash)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: