Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai mk11 paf pickups ..... What's the verdict ?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casualguy393
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Fernandes JS-100 (Jackson RR1 copy) Randy Rhoads Reply with quote

Hi!
I searched around, but could not find a thread about the js-100 guitars.
I own two of them, and they are really great copies!
I am looking for as much info as possible about these guitars.
I would especially like to find out what factory these were made in.
Fujigen? Tokai? Terada?

JS-100 owners lets unite!
I will post pictures of mine when I get home.
riffpowers
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Tokai mk11 paf pickups ..... What's the verdict ?! Reply with quote

I recently bought a Tokai lc122s loaded with mk11 pickups .

It's a nice guitar , but compared to my Gibson lp custom it sounds pretty flat muddy and lifeless . There's nothing wrong with it , but the lp custom sounds more lively and dynamic by comparison .

I wondered if I was just hearing the difference between the 2 guitars , or if the pickups were a big part of what I heard .

I'm interested in what people think if the stock Tokai pafs.
mattim
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tokai mk11 paf pickups ..... What's the verdict ?! Reply with quote

riffpowers wrote:
I recently bought a Tokai lc122s loaded with mk11 pickups .

It's a nice guitar , but compared to my Gibson lp custom it sounds pretty flat muddy and lifeless . There's nothing wrong with it , but the lp custom sounds more lively and dynamic by comparison .

I wondered if I was just hearing the difference between the 2 guitars , or if the pickups were a big part of what I heard .

I'm interested in what people think if the stock Tokai pafs.

MK2 pickups are excellent. Check the adjustment, maybe those are too close to the strings ?

Matti

Tokai HES180 2013
Tokai LS-150 VF 2009
Tokai FA 235 VF 2009
Also other 4-6-string instruments
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed mine out a long time ago for personal preference reasons, but I agree with Mattim - pickup height has a far bigger role to play than most people realise and many are far too keen to get out the soldering iron before they've tried the screwdriver.

I use low to mid output pickups on all my electrics and they are all set significantly lower than the 'recommended' specs that you generally find online or on manufacturer's websites. Conventional wisdom is that you should get them as close to the strings as possible before the magnets start causing weird interference... But I think that they are more lively and responsive a bit further away form the strings.
dombat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, pickup height and/or pole screw adjustement is the key.
Strings quality too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: