Have anyone changed the wiring in a high end Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibicus

Reaction score
And the serial starts with a C...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tokai-TTE-70-Breezy-Sound-Telecaster-2006-MIJ-Union-Jack-Rare-/141684663532?

marcusnieman said:
Wonder if they have the Confederate flag model for US distribution

Well if they call it Warren Haynes Signature Breezy :D

Do you think it is a fake ? The seller says he bought it from tokai outlet Tokyo...

Hi

I just purchased a used Tokai HES 180 and I am very pleased with it. Amazing guitar of an amazing quality. Especially the acoustic qualities of the guitar are great and a great deal better than my Ibanez AS93. However I have decided to change the pickups to Sheptone Tributes. I have them in the Ibanez and they just sound better to my ears - more air and woodyness while the Fiftynines in the Tokai are to fat sounding for my liking. So a recommendation for the Sheptone Tributes if you like a woody tone :)

But now to the question: I changed the wiring harness in the Ibanez to one from Jonesyblues that is clearly a lot better than the stock wiring. I am considering to do the same with the Tokai, but I know that Tokai are very focused on detail and quality, and it seems they use Switchcraft and CTS, so I guess the change would be unnoticable. Have any of you guys switched the wiring in your high end Tokai, and have you noticed any difference?

Thank you :)

All the best, Esben

Esbenmad said:
Have any of you guys switched the wiring in your high end Tokai, and have you noticed any difference?

Switchcraft/CTS are already as good as it gets so if you're just swapping things out for the sake of 'improvement' then you are wasting your time.

If you're modifying the circuit - different pot values, extra switches etc. - then that's different, you would be changing the tone or gaining functionality that the stock components can't provide.

Thank you for your answer :)

That was just what I needed to hear. I just wanted to be sure - I dont want to do an operation to this guitar more than once. It is really timeconsuming pulling everything out from that f-hole :)

A lot of people change the wiring on their expensive Gibsons, but I guess Tokai just has a better standard :)

Pointless changing the wiring in a high spec Tokai - and you're right about Gibson wiring, my Gibsons wiring is like a birds nest with birdshit soldering compared to the perfection and neatness of Tokai. The woodwork is much better on Tokai too - the cavities on my Gibson look like they have been chewed out by a rabid rat, compared to the accurate, smooth cutting on my Tokai..........

Thank you for your answer. It is good to hear that there is no need for that. It sure does look neat, from what I can see through the f-hole :)

Paladin2019 said:
Esbenmad said:
Have any of you guys switched the wiring in your high end Tokai, and have you noticed any difference?

Switchcraft/CTS are already as good as it gets so if you're just swapping things out for the sake of 'improvement' then you are wasting your time.

If you're modifying the circuit - different pot values, extra switches etc. - then that's different, you would be changing the tone or gaining functionality that the stock components can't provide.

I guess that I would respectfully disagree. CTS makes a raft of pots, and tolerance and taper are both variables. I don't think that it is quite as cut and dried as you are indicating. The real bottom line is: Are you satisfied with what you are hearing? Ultimately, the ears answer the question. Certainly, if you're satisfied with the tone and range, there is no reason to swap out the electronics.

Mick51 said:
I guess that I would respectfully disagree. CTS makes a raft of pots, and tolerance and taper are both variables. I don't think that it is quite as cut and dried as you are indicating. The real bottom line is: Are you satisfied with what you are hearing? Ultimately, the ears answer the question. Certainly, if you're satisfied with the tone and range, there is no reason to swap out the electronics.

I think that's pretty much what I was trying to say anyway!

Latest posts

Back