Help with ID on Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xwingftr

Reaction score
I found a Love Rock # S0601011 at a local shop. From research, I figured it's a 2006, which checks out w what store owner told me. Not sure what model it is?It is a one owner piece that was traded in for a strat type guitar...guy was looking for something different . Has lighter orange flame top, light green tuner knobs....aside from one of the pickup border trim pieces being slightly misaligned, the guitar was flawless. It is in great shape, solid, blown away on how good it feels and plays. I had just left guitar center and played a few epiphone LP's, 339, mexican/japan? strat(which felt really nice) and the Tokai was way more impressive. I'm fairly new to playing and I'm looking for my first electric.
Would $300-350USD be a fair price?

Thank you! Johnny

Hi,
Welcome to the forum !

Unless the serial # is actually F0601011 ... it would not be a Tokai serial # for any year.

2006 Japan serial #'s have 0610xxx or 0611xxx number prefixes without fail (no letters).

2006 China serial #'s are either 6 digit numeric with no letter prefix,
or 7 digit numeric with F or FC prefixes depending on the factory they were produced at.

Post pics of the headstock front + back, body front + back, and we may be able to confirm that it is a fake .. if the number you gave was correct.
You would need to host pics on a 3rd party site like photobucket and link to them in your post.

Thank you for your help! I did verify today....It starts w an F, my bad hearing I guess. I'm pasting link to pics I took. Neck is really smooth, did notice slight change in color from neck to body. Is this the entry level Love Rock? Would a fair offer be $300-350?
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/turbozayas/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1

2009 made in China LS-48's have basswood bodies and maple necks and are entry level LS models as you suggested.
Neck + body would take stains slightly differently being different species.
You would need to convert MSRP sales price from yen to your currency and decide based on condition if it represents a good value for you or not.
You could compare what Chinese Epis are selling for by comparison, since many MIC ALS-48 models were produced at the same factories, but it might be wise to get prices from other sources also before deciding.
The Epi shaped head and irregular export horn shape might make resale far more difficult than correct Tokai headstock and horn shapes would when you decide to upgrade.
ALS-48 models are deeply discounted in most venues because newer versions feature mahogany bodies.

I think I would offer a considerably lower price or keep looking based on these facts alone, but I can appreciate that your situation and impressions may vary from mine of course.
Patience and a lot more searching can often result in you finding a far better value weeks or months down the road.
Also budgeting to spend a bit more can often net you a far superior instrument than entry level Chinese spec Les Pauls, despite build quality being good on both. 1980's vintage Burnys and Grecos come to mind, although prices on these have sometimes increased lately.
MIJ 1980's vintage LS-50 Tokais have cost far more for quite awhile, but are well worth the difference in price in most cases.
Consider this a preliminary test drive, and test many more if you can.

Happy hunting !

Wanted to chime in on this thread because I own one like the one you were looking at xwingftr. I can't find any info on the thing either. Here is my post on the forum.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22974

In my research the body shape is really close to a Dillion/USA LP style guitar. I believe in 2006 Tokai branched out to Korea and China plants.

I'm mostly thrown by the horn and the shape of the headstock.. why would someone fake a Tokai and completely miss the mark on the body shape and headstock.??

Was this a model slated for US sales?

At any rate the guitar is completely awesome and plays great! I love it!

Latest posts

Back