new (old) guitar day

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyb

Reaction score
Recently acquired this gold star 50 on Yahoo Japan. Great guitar, and I just love the red body with maple neck configuration. Excuse the blurry iPhone pics.

Thanks, Marcus.
My first Goldie and it measures up every bit to what has been written on these pages and elsewhere about these excellent guitars.
****, Tokais are just great!

Very nice!

Mine is the rosewood board version ST50 from around 1986. Used to have the grey bobbin pickups too but now all SD's. The brass control grounding plate would put it as an older version of the latter script (non spaghetti) models.

My bridge went bad like that (actually worse lol) but it cleaned up well with a bit of a scrub with a green pan scoring pad. I mist it periodically with some WD40 and it's stayed fine for a couple of years now.

Thanks for the dating info, Barks. Based on the Registry, I assumed it was around a 1984. Didn't know about the brass grounding plate.

Will have to try cleaning up the bridge - you did a great job on yours! Not sure if I can find a "green pan scoring pad" around here, but I'm sure there's a Japanese version of WD-40 at the local home center.

I suppose any scouring pad will do.
I also drenched it in WD40 (or similar!) whilst I was cleaning it.

BTW I was in Japan with family - Kyoto and Tokyo end 2013/14 - visiting friends for a couple of weeks and loved it.
Of course had to peruse the guitar districts and came back with a 2008 LS160GT S for 50kYen.
Can't wait to go back!

Good one. Yeah, there are definitely still some deals to be had here if you look around.

Latest posts

Back