NGD - 1980 ST80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
Every time I say I'm done buying (had a big sell off of some great guitars a year or two ago), I get the itch again - but this time for quality pieces I won't sell (I'm going for quality over quantity now :wink: ) Just received this cream puff from Japan - immaculate condition - couple of little dents but nothing thru the finish. The original case is in equally fine condition.

You guys know the drill on these - nitro finish, V neck, incredible wood, E pickups and the best 5 position switch ever made (with the almost non existent 2 and 4 position notches).

Weighs just a tad over 8 lbs, rings like a bell and has that unmistakable strat voice voice that really puts Fender to shame...... sorry for all the pics but wanted to share what I ended up with:

I'm not sure wether I like the case or the guitar best! absolutely amazing. I also like the bumph on the hangtag. "The Exact Replica of The Original Stratocaster"

That is a beautiful Springy, amazing wood grain. Congrats on a very nice find.

marcusnieman said:
Every time I say I'm done buying (had a big sell off of some great guitars a year or two ago), I get the itch again
Still on the hunt for a rosewood board, I suppose? :D

marcusnieman said:
sorry for all the pics but wanted to share what I ended up with:
I think, the more pics, the better. :wink:

Oh yeah!!!! :D

Man that looks so much like a real vintage Strat!
Oh, hang on, it IS a vintage Strat... :lol:

Thanks guys..... yeah, still keeping an eye out for a rosewood ST80 :wink:

Picked this one up from Hisashi in Japan - I've done business with him in the past and he had this one come up but it didn't sell on eBay - he was asking top dollar for it. Made him a solid offer after it went off listing..... couldn't let this one slip by - one of the nicest I've seen and the case is a rare bird too let alone in near perfect condition. Two piece center joined body and a little heavier (just over 8 lbs) than I'd expected but real comfortable to play and just rings unplugged. Only issue is a tone pot that's a bit weak and unresponsive - need to check solder joints and might replace the capacitor.

Pickup output is 5.9 neck / 6.2 middle / 6.2 bridge.... couldn't ask for a more nicely balanced, vintage output set. Here's a pic of the innards:

Gotta say the more I look at any Japan made Tokai the more I stop playing my other guitars and pick up my Silver Star!

For anyone who loves guitars and stumbles into this forum do yourself a big favour and pick up a Tokai - they are gold!

Latest posts

Back