Grail Search Done

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimus

Reaction score
Only you guys will understand this joy.

UPS just delivered an absolute dead-mint trans blonde ST-80 rosewood V neck 1978 Springy Sound. I will get some photos added here asap but for the moment let me say that I am not sure this was ever even played, all the points of dating and detail that I am familiar with line up pointing to my grail search being completed.

I will add for you guys still hunting, the middle man who helped me get this out of Japan to Oregon was nothing short of perfect. From his affordable rate to his honesty and his thoroughgoing communication, every step of the way was simply top shelf.

Here are the photos from the original ad by the Japanese seller. When I change strings, etc. I'll try and get some better ones. It's stamped 80 on the board, E pickups and I suppose it's more trans off/vintage white than blonde. For the price I could not be happier. In fact at twice the price I would still be happy.

Hi guys,

FYI all 1977-1979 ST models only had 8 screw, single ply scratchplate.
To be sure it's original, when you turn it over, the underneath of the plate will display the letter 'A'
Tokai stopped putting this letter on scratchplates in L80-E81, around the same time the 3-ply 11 screw plate was used for rosewood boards.

Congratulations on a superb score.

Peter Mac

Thanks for the encyclopaedic knowledge as always Peter. The guitar looks in amazing condition, you wonder why the logo was removed. Looking forward to the photos

Back