Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have a 1984 Tokai Goldstar need help- which model is it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonemaster13131313
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Have a 1984 Tokai Goldstar need help- which model is it. Reply with quote

I am new to the tokai forum I have a 1984 Tokai Goldstar that I need help identifying which model is it.
Sunburst 2 piece body the fretboard looks and sounds like Brazilian Rosewood, it has E series pickups all original and only weighs 7.2 LBS, L serial number.
here is the link
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1058914020

Im thinking ST60 or ST80 as it has the 2 piece body, its currently for sale for $999, any info would help.
tonemaster13131313
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Have a 1984 Tokai Goldstar- which model is it, HELP!!!!. Reply with quote

tonemaster13131313 wrote:

I am new to the tokai forum I have a 1984 Tokai Goldstar that I need help identifying which model is it.
Sunburst 2 piece body the fretboard looks and sounds like Brazilian Rosewood, it has E series pickups all original and only weighs 7.2 LBS, L serial number.
here is the link
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1058914020

Im thinking ST60 or ST80 as it has the 2 piece body, its currently for sale for $999, any info would help.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was once a sticker at the bottom of the neck, you can still see the oval imprint of it. Sometimes you can still see the model number if you look at that imprint under certain angles and light. The Fretboard is not Brazillian rosewood, nice looking Indian rosewood though. Have you taken the neck off to see the codes on the neck ??

Tokai is not a very recognised brand here in Canada and so it's harder to sell than some others, Reverb might be a better option than Kijiji if you are looking to get top dollar.
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why think 60 or 80, it could easily be a 50, it has everything required to be a 50. Have you checked the finish? The price is high.
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.E.M. wrote:
Why think 60 or 80, it could easily be a 50, it has everything required to be a 50. Have you checked the finish? The price is high.

Edit, the board is not Brazilian...
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a '50' would have 'u' not 'e' pups.
a '60' will have a poly finish, an '80' will have a nitro finish, that's probably the best way to work out what we have here.
what neck profile does it have?
J.E.M.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonah65 wrote:
a '50' would have 'u' not 'e' pups.
a '60' will have a poly finish, an '80' will have a nitro finish, that's probably the best way to work out what we have here.
what neck profile does it have?

So what about my one owner 84 Goldstar with E pups and a 50 sticker?
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesn't sound right jem, everything i've read on this forum states st50 has u pups, st60 u or e pups.
but if you have a guitar with e's and a 50 sticker that throws all that out!
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,Tonemaster,your guitar is definitely an st 60.How do I know?because I have A goldstar St80 and they had as mine does a slab rosewood board,not the veneer as displayed on yours.They were also finished in nitro, not poly like yours, which is still a very nice ST 60.Gabe.
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

from the features, serial number, routing and style my input is a 1983 TST-60 YSOR.
Body is Alder with a poly finish, 'E' pups and the 'X' added to the body code all point to a TST-60.
If this was a TST-80, the pickups wouild be DiMarzio FS-1 with black bobbins, not grey. Body routing is pre-86 and Goldstar bodys had the 3-tone burst listed as YSO instead of the Springys YS.

Jem, in terms of a 1st owner ST-50 with 'E' pickups, I find it very hard to believe - if in fact you are the 1st owner. Either the neck's been swapped or the pickups upgraded at some time. Post me pics and I can verify it's heritage.

Peter Mac
Voidoid56
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:
my input is a 1983 TST-60 YSOR.

Interesting, I thought '83's were supposed to be block logo Springys? Or did the script logo Goldstars appear during '83?
Also, the pre-86 routing you refer to, do you mean with the "dimples" in the pup cavities etc? If so, what came after it?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm really trying to learn here. Please feel free to point me to any old threads if it's been discussed before.
'82 Tokai ST-60,'85 Tokai TTE-60 TM, '78 Fernandes FST-60, '87 Burny RLG-90, '88 Burny RLC-60, late 80's Burny RSA-100, '94 ObG LPS-57C, '66 Fender Tele, '95 MIM Fender HSS Strat, '11 Schecter Hellcat VI, '74 Ibanez Concord 693 Dove
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

1983 Goldstars only had Block logos for the UK market - everyone else got script. Block Springys - from what I can ascertain - were still made in 1982, just at the very end.

Peter Mac
tonemaster13131313
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies as it looks, w the E pickups markings and a 2 piece body looks to be a 60, definitely not a 50, I will take off the neck and see if there is a sticker or markings.
Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: