My late 80s Tokai VC-75.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ojgibbins

Reaction score
Here is a quick clip I just did after swapping out the bridge pup for an sd custom.

http://youtu.be/UDduBE_lzqA

15856839523_029aec0f8f_b.jpg

My oldest guitar. Ive owned it since new 25 yearsish.

Nice :D

What's the tune? Sounds very familiar, I'll probably kick myself when you tell me :lol:

Did you swap the trem for a gotoh?

Dave_Mc said:
Nice :D

What's the tune? Sounds very familiar, I'll probably kick myself when you tell me :lol:

Did you swap the trem for a gotoh?

It was something I wrote on the spot. The intro riff Kinda sounds like velvet revolver come to think of it haha.

Yeah the original trem got beat to smithereens. I was in a thrash band for years and it was my only guitar, it held up well but the string blocks could not take the palm mutes any longer. They were not standard sized so I could not swap them out so the whole trem had to go. The gotoh is ok. Bar angle isn't designed very well And I need to bend it for more clearance. I prefer My vintage floyd rose pro on my other two shredders.

That is something else.... definitely carries 80s looks!

Stupid question, but does the neck pickup ... sound the way they 'normally' sound or is it completely different as it's more in the 'middle' position..

ojgibbins said:
It was something I wrote on the spot. The intro riff Kinda sounds like velvet revolver come to think of it haha.

Yeah the original trem got beat to smithereens. I was in a thrash band for years and it was my only guitar, it held up well but the string blocks could not take the palm mutes any longer. They were not standard sized so I could not swap them out so the whole trem had to go. The gotoh is ok. Bar angle isn't designed very well And I need to bend it for more clearance. I prefer My vintage floyd rose pro on my other two shredders.

haha no worries :lol:

and yeah that makes sense about the trem. I like the gotoh... I'd probably agree with people who say it feels like it's made better than the OFR, but in use (and in terms of tone) I'm not sure I don't prefer the OFR :lol:

Lucke Luke said:
That is something else.... definitely carries 80s looks!

Stupid question, but does the neck pickup ... sound the way they 'normally' sound or is it completely different as it's more in the 'middle' position..

Unfortunately the neck pickup is not great due to the angle/placement. It seems to have the worst characteristics of a middle and neck pickup combined.

I currently have a crappy pickup in the neck just for looks, it's not even hooked up. I've tried top of the line pickups in there, the best was a Motor City custom but it was wasting having a $150 pickup in a spot where it would sound much better in the neck of one of my Electra LP's etc.

I was thinking to hell with it and put a really bassy pickup in there to overdo the flub for stoner rock. It's not articulate enough to be usefull for much.

Dave_Mc said:
ojgibbins said:

haha no worries :lol:

and yeah that makes sense about the trem. I like the gotoh... I'd probably agree with people who say it feels like it's made better than the OFR, but in use (and in terms of tone) I'm not sure I don't prefer the OFR :lol:

I think I need to revisit the gotoh and see why it's not keeping tune as good as my OFR's. Perhaps I need to check if the springs are good quality ones but the original Tokai mounting pegs could also be a little funky. I think it's the forgiving/smooth angle of where the string meets the bridge that also puts me off. It's too well designed. IMO it needs a sharper edge to get more zing when you pluck. It all seems a bit muted but that is probably related to the neck length too. Good for string breakage but you get that limp PRS tone.

Love Rock/LP style guitars have an uncomfortable bridge saddles with sharp edge. I'm convinced that relates to the better tone of the bridge compared to a floyd rose style. Could be wrong!

Lol..That turned into a bit of a rant! Floyd Rose style are SPEEDSTERS and I can do way more acrobatics with these than my Electra LP's. Tools and all that.

I just had coffee.

LOL

Yeah I fancy that the Gotohs have a slightly softer edge to the tone too, as you said, which I'm not sure I like as much as the sharper tone of a Floyd. It sounds a bit more modern or something.

Though I haven't done scientific tests in the same guitar or anything.

I didn't notice any problems with mine staying in tune, though.

Back