This is a keeper, but what is it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannacet

Reaction score
So, I had an old Silver Star, and it became an important guitar for many years gigging and recording. It was great and I recommended that a good friend get one - he ended up with a Goldstar and still maintains to this day it is better than any fender start he has played.

I was never tempted with the new Tokais until the other day when a friend told me that a close friend of his was buying a new Gibson LP Standard and was looking to trade in a couple of older "lesser" guitars. I said I might be interested in seeing them and he was interested in cash that might weigh better against his new purchase.

One of the guitars was a 2006 Love Rock. I played it and loved it, the weight, balance, finish, everything about it. So I bought it on the spot.

The only thing is I don't have a clue what model it is. Its definitely Japanese (I've trawled the forums here for clues - 2 screw TRC, and "Made in Japan" is a giveaway). It seems to have a 2 piece top and a 1-piece back - I know this can be difficult to see sometimes, but I certainly can't see any seam or join on the back.

I would appreciate any help... I'll link some pics in the next post.

Thanks for that. The serial number is 06xxxxx so I assume 2006.

Did they do any other non-flame VF LS in 2006, or is it almost certainly a LS135?

dannacet said:
Did they do any other non-flame VF LS in 2006, or is it almost certainly a LS135?

Yes, they do a Vintage Series LS85/90.

As Jacco says yours appears to be a Premium Series LS135.
To check if it's a Premium Series, check the tailpiece, if it's very light then it's aluminium and a Premium Series.
Check the saddles, they should be brass.
Check the toggle switch, it should be a Switchcraft?
The pots should be CTS.

Paladin2019 said:
I don't think its the premium model. The fret ends are unbound.

Even LS260 come without fret ends binding. Fret nibs is on LS420 and LS540 only.

Even back in 2006?

I still have my doubts. Back then premium series stuff was very hard to get hold of in the uk and pushing Gibson prices. Why would someone seek out and pay a lot of money for what they considered a 'lesser' guitar than the Gibsons that they could get on any high street?

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Back in sometime around 2003 when I bought my Tokai Strat there was a lot of interest in the "Lawsuit" stuff (apologies for using that term but at the time that's what everyone was talking about). People were importing a lot of guitars. And in every guitar shop I went into, everyone was talking about Gibson's quality issues.

I don't know exactly what those issues were, but lots of people were shying away from the brand at that time. It wouldn't be too far off to say that there was a huge amount of interest in non-standard brands in the following years, rather than people just blindly going for the big names as would have been the norm in the past.

Saying that, I have just opened the back of the guitar and it has green caps as opposed to orange drop, so it's probably not LS135.

Did the LS85/90 have a 1-piece back?

Thanks, I'm very happy with the guitar nonetheless.

So just a question regarding the pots. What is the benefit of CTS pots? Are the "Made in Japan" ones not as smooth? Are there huge benefits to change them?

Back