Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burny LPC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Burny LPC Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Black Les Paul Custom but not too sure of its Year.

It seems to be an LC-70, I would think from the 80's as it still has the Super 400 headstock inlay and multi-ply binding.
Body is mahogany with a maple cap but the pickups have been swapped out for Duncans.
There is no serial number on the back of the headstock however the front pickup cavity is stamped 121181. The pots are seperated (no PCB) and it has had Sprague capacitors placed in it. Hardware is gold plated but tuners have been replaced with Grovers. Neck has a 60's feel with low frets and a blackened rosewood fingerboard.

I also have a VH-1 pickup that I am thinking of putting in it.

Any help in identifying it would be appreciated
hekdiesel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably need to show pictures.
LPjunior
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do say a pictures worth a thousand words

That headstock style sitched 88/89 to the lightening bolt styled one, usually the pots are used to date some as the codes show the month and year they were made and they were usually used quite quickly. If they're not present you can then move onto things like the tooling marks as they used different factories for certain years pre Dyna. Also some have the serial stamped on the FB or cavities so pics would help determine if it's 70's/80's as I think the serials stopped 1982 until the 90's so 81 if that's a stamped serial. On top of that the majority of later ones were all mahog with the maple caps used on models like the Sykes ones so could be an earlier one.
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

What you are describing is a Matsumoku made Burny, so can be made in between 2nd quarter 1985 up to late 1986.

Cheers,
Jacco

PS How's the book coming along?
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks for that info, and again Jacco - you tha Man.
I is definately not a Sykes due to the gold hardware (Sykes use chrome) and my 1985 and 1986 Fernandes catalogs both have the LC with the Super 400 inlay and VH-1 pickups and it does not seem to have ever had a serial number on the headstock rear.
I will try to post a shot of the front pickup cavity showing the inked serial number soon as it has been restrung and I'm playing it.
It has a more 60's profile neck and ultra low frets and the action is quite different from the '59 so it's an nice change.

Jacco - The book is coming along, it's getting the right info on post-82 Fender serial numbers that's bogging me down. I plan to visit the Tokai factory around April 2015, and hopefully that will give me the minor details i need to finish. Do you want to proof-read the Love Rock section or SpringySound??

Peter
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to prove read the Love Rock section! Or actually both

How did you manage to get Tokai approve of your visit and have access to the files?
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

a slight change of specs. I was re-routing the control cavity to allow for a set of Bumblebees when I noticed the wood for the top is mahogany and not maple. How strange?. It does sound good though but I will probably sell the VH-1 and replace it with a Burstbucker.
I will post pics soon - next time I pull her down.

Pete
dombat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 89 LPC60 top is all mahogany too
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a LC70 with a mahogani cap too. A warmer sounding than uusal guitar that one. A good one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: