Any ES160 (ES-335 style) owners out there?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefinger

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought my third Tokai Love Rock and think about replacing my Gibson ES-335 with a Tokai as well. I am interested in the ES160 (block inlay). Does anybody know what kind of neck profile they have?

thanks!

I had a 2009 version of the dot inlay and it had a very narrow nut width. The Tokai site lists them as 41mm but mine seemed to be closer to 42mm. The profile was a very average medium profile but the nut felt a little tight to me.

I had an ES188 briefly, and the neck was certainly beefier than the Gibson 60's ES335 Re-Issue that i had (60's slim neck).

The neck felt, to me, closer to the Love Rock neck, than the Gibson ES335 60's neck

hekdiesel said:
I had an ES188 briefly, and the neck was certainly beefier than the Gibson 60's ES335 Re-Issue that i had (60's slim neck).

The neck felt, to me, closer to the Love Rock neck, than the Gibson ES335 60's neck

What were you impressions about that guitar? Why did you get rid of it so quickly?

I didnt like it as much as the Gibson, it was a fine guitar to be sure. If i had kept it i would have probably changed the stock strings to 11's it had a great tone. Just there was something about it that i wasnt in love with, cant say wha - but my music teacher LOVED it so i sold it to him, so it was more of an opportunity to make some cash. I intend to get another ES335 type at some point.

I just got an FA235 2 weeks ago that i am absolutely in love with. Like it more than my love rock and my custom strat (i known its a totally different animal)buts its just an amazing guitar

I order the ES138 with the ES160 neck with block inlays...best of both worlds.

The neck width at the nut is 42mm and then quickly becomes kind of chunky as you move up.

Did you order the 160 neck, or the 160 fretboard/inlays? My understanding is that the 138 has a '58 Gibson carve and the 16x guitars are more of the slim 60's profile?

I have an es135 and it's great . Neck is a bit chubbier than the Gibson es335 I had , but the Tokai is actually a nicer guitar .

I often find Tokai necks a little more "vintage " carve than modern gibsons.

jim777 said:
Did you order the 160 neck, or the 160 fretboard/inlays? My understanding is that the 138 has a '58 Gibson carve and the 16x guitars are more of the slim 60's profile?

The ES necks are all the same carve, I just order block inlays in a ES138 (ES156) model.

Latest posts

Back