Guitar wall-hangers ... on a dry-wall

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucke Luke

Reaction score
A while ago I bought some hercules wall hangers and I've been meaning to install them.

I've got a dry wall and although I could seek out the studs behind it, the spacing that I wish to have for the guitars would probably not work.

Those that have done something similar, what kind of wall plugs did you use as they range from little plastic ones, to slightly more substantial metal ones?

All the guitars I have don't weigh more than 4.5kg I think... (LP,SG,ES335 & EX)

It's a rather small living room and there's only one meter wide space that I can utilize. Which probably means hanging two guitar side by side, and another one a bit lower, with the neck located between the other two... although ideally it'd be good to fit 4 hangers (probably impossible). I can figure the exact positioning later, unless you reckon there is any risk of having too much weight (16kg in total?) spread over a square meter of dry-wall.

20150106_142048.jpg

Fire your advice!

L

I dont remember the brand but at home depot they have some nice toggle wall anchors.

I hang my les paul, a real heavy one, with no issues. Ill try to see if i have some more left so i can tell you the brand when i get home

safest way would be to fix a piece of batten to the existing studs, then fit the hangers on to the batten.
if you paint the batten/s the same colour as the wall, you'll hardly notice it's there.
DON'T use rawlplugs, at least use dry lining fixings if you don't want to use batten.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cobra-Anchors-1-4-in-x-3-in-Zinc-Plated-Driller-Toggles-4-Pack-367R/202531181?N=5yc1vZc2eq

I used those, and so far I havent had any issues with the drywall.

But if I understand what Jonah is saying, that's not a bad idea. Get 16"of 3"x1" (or maybe a little thicker for aesthetic reasons, and put that across the existing studs, that way youre guaranteeed not to have problems, and if you get a decent piece of wood and a decent looking stain on it, it will probably look real nice.

Thank you for your answers,

Jonah65, I did consider having a batten spanning from one stud to another... but from examples I've seen it doesn't look the way I like it.

Something like the following isn't too bad if it's for a numerous guitars, spanning the whole width of the wall. However, if I'm to have two 'height levels' for hanging guitars (as in the photo below) it'll look a bit odd over a space of one meter.
Batten.jpg

I imagine the kind of dry lining fixer that Hekdiesel posted is what you have in mind? It does look quite smart, and the hangers I've got have three-fixing points. So I imagine that would spread the weight of the guitar quite nicely.

41aSS9KuMRL._SX300_.jpg

I will need to find the same or some equivalent of such anchor in the UK... or just find something online :)
And you've got all these kinds;
how-hang-anything-on-anything-1.jpg

luke, the battens don't have to just span the studs, they can be as long as you like, so long as they are fixed to at least two of the studs, going past them to the distance you require.
the top left is called a toggle bolt, you make a hole just big enough for the head of the toggle to push through, once through the hole, the two levers spring out and you tighten up so that the levers hold against the back of the plasterboard. these are probably the best, but REMEMBER to put the bolt through the hanger before pushing the head through the wall.
the two bottom left are dry lining fixings, the metal ones are best imo.
remember you could also use any of these fixings to strengthen up the batten method.

jonah65 said:
luke, the battens don't have to just span the studs, they can be as long as you like, so long as they are fixed to at least two of the studs, going past them to the distance you require.
the top left is called a toggle bolt, you make a hole just big enough for the head of the toggle to push through, once through the hole, the two levers spring out and you tighten up so that the levers hold against the back of the plasterboard. these are probably the best, but REMEMBER to put the bolt through the hanger before pushing the head through the wall.
the two bottom left are dry lining fixings, the metal ones are best imo.
remember you could also use any of these fixings to strengthen up the batten method.

Thanks! I think I'll opt for the metal dry lining fixer probably

I will upload a picture once it's done ... in the near future 8)

Latest posts

Back