Lefty Grecos.. Myth, Reality or just extremely rare???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeceuk

Reaction score
Hi,

Im a lefty player with a big love for classic or older MIJ guitars. I was browsing the old 1981 Greco catalog and noticed towards the back of the catalog there is a part which details the left handed models available.

Amongst thoses listed were the EGF-850, the SA-550 and also the SA-900. In all my years of browsing the net, forums like this, rinkya and digimart I have only ever seen 2 x EGF850s, one here and one that was for sale on yahoo.jp last year which I foolishly gave myself a night to sleep on should I buy it out before returning the next day to see it had gone.

That one was basically mint although it did have that nasty greco habit of rim bursting the top rather than the classic teardrop shaped shading on the top. I saved a couple of pics of that one below in case anyone is interested in seeing it ....

I was also lucky enough to grab a 1976 EG1000B in lefty a couple years back which although pre dating the more accurate Super Real series is still a pretty nice axe.....

So.. My questions I suppose are these.. Does being listed in the catalog mean these models were definitely madeor would they have been on a custom order only basis ??

Has ANYONE ever seen a lefty SA900? (Id kill to find one of these !! )

Is there anywhere else I could be looking apart from say here, rinkya, digimart where one of these may come up?

Do YOU have one of he above locked away in a cupboard you want to sell ??? (long shot I know)

I realise that this search is most likely going to be fruitless but there is something about the old japanese guitars I love even if for the most part for a lefty you can get no closer than drooling over pics of right handed guitars

If there are any other lefty players on here with MIJ guitars Id love to hear from you, what guitars you have and any pics also.

cheers

Ben

Hello fellow lefty! :)

Greco semi-acoustics do exist. I have seen three in total, two with 1979-only Greco headstock and one with Gibson open book headstock. The Gibson-headed one was for sale in a little guitar shop in Stockholm a few years ago. I was just starting with my collection and was foolish enough not to buy it. I don't know the exact specs. It might have have been a SA-550 or a SA-900, but I'm guessing the former. It was a clown burst in colour and had an Bigsby installed. So, yes, they do exist. As do leftys who share your passion. 8)

Back