My Goldie as requested

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossDG

Reaction score
I went out with ?1000 to buy a nice Strat; tried a Dan Smith, a 70's Fender, L&G Strat and the Goldie. I was playing in the back room of a music shop and several people commented on the sound of the Goldie - I got the owner of the shop and my daughter to listen without looking at what I was playing, both chose the Goldie in a blind test, both clean and driven - I already thought it played and sounded better. ?300 later, home and a good setup I reckoned I had a good 84 - 85 Goldie. Now I think there are some anomalies:
No serial number on neck plate (I have not checked under the guard or neck joint yet as I am recording and gigging with it).
Body seems to be 2 piece (the line that looks like a join is in the grain I think), oh and it is a very definite C profile neck with quite a neck radius on it.
http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/rossdg/library/Goldie?sort=3&page=1

No name tuners and bridge. It does have staggered pole piece PU's, single ply 8 screw pick guard MIJ under the neck lacquer and best of all sounds and plays great with real strat "Quack". So I am not sure if it is 84, or much newer (the slight rusting to screws etc leans me toward older).
I owned a springy with tweed Tokai amp in 1981 - sold both for ?30 around '85 - don't kick me I have done so repeatedly!

Can't find enough info to confirm a year. If it is 30 years old it is in very good condition, actually if it is 20 years old it is in very good condition!

You can hear it on most of the recordings on our soundcloud page - Sol Sister
https://soundcloud.com/the-half-dead-darlings/sol-sister-work-in-progress

yes, it's got the wrong shape headstock for an '84, i had a breezy with the wrong shape headstock and no serial number, there's a thread about these being only made around 1989 somewhere.

Can't remember which year exactly it was but either 1994 or 1995 Tokai didn't use serials for a short time.

Hi guys,

I'd also have to go sometime '90s as no '80s Tokai (to memory) had the 'MIJ' transfer on the wood - they used a removable sticker instead.

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back