Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DRY Z Crushers!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a bit of a dilemma as to which ones to go for... (if we can still get the sale prices..)

Got:
SG with Gibson 57's (Neck and Bridge)
Explorer with Gibson BB3 in Bridge(8/9k ohm) and 57' in Neck
LP with Bareknuckle Abraxas (Neck and Bridge(14k ohm)).... but I prefer the EX with BB3 in bridge (more clarity it feels), and so would like to swap the LP pups for something, perhaps more distinct from the other two.

Any suggestions as to which ones? Some lower output vintage ones? (or would it make it too similar to the SG with low output 57's)
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a 498t & a 490r in the sg, it'll sound great.
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonah65 wrote:

Well, I just thought I could try the Bareknuckle Abraxas in the SG.

"Gibson?s 490R pickup carries an Alnico II bar magnet, while the 498T carries an Alnico V bar magnet. "

... Abraxas "Utilising the same sand-cast Alnico IV magnet as The Mule, the Abraxas humbucker provides similar breadth and detail across the mid range but with considerably more power. The 43 AWG plain enamel scatter-wound coils"

Have you tried SG with both 57 and 498?

I've emailed the company asking if it'd still be possible to order a set at sale prices. Fingers crossed.
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,

got an email back saying that the sale is running till the end of October. Apparently it was a technical booboo.

Prices seem to be back to what they were yesterday.

http://deacci.com/pickups/pure-vintage/
MrDeacci
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks,

When sale was set to end on 30 September I thought the software would use midnight as opposed to first thing, giving me 24 more hours to change it to the new October 31 date.

so human error as opposed to technical, all fixed now !!!

Declan
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucke Luke wrote:
jonah65 wrote:

Well, I just thought I could try the Bareknuckle Abraxas in the SG.

"Gibson?s 490R pickup carries an Alnico II bar magnet, while the 498T carries an Alnico V bar magnet. "

... Abraxas "Utilising the same sand-cast Alnico IV magnet as The Mule, the Abraxas humbucker provides similar breadth and detail across the mid range but with considerably more power. The 43 AWG plain enamel scatter-wound coils"

Have you tried SG with both 57 and 498?

I've emailed the company asking if it'd still be possible to order a set at sale prices. Fingers crossed.

hi lucke, yes i've tried the '57, and it sounded dull compared to the 498t.
let us know how you get on with the abraxas in the sg.
it's all subjective, these deacci's sound interesting.
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

hi lucke, yes i've tried the '57, and it sounded dull compared to the 498t.
let us know how you get on with the abraxas in the sg.
it's all subjective, these deacci's sound interesting.

Should be interesting. One thing left to do. Which Deaccis for the LP. Is it just me or is ordering pups always such a pain in the butt

Leaning towards vintage two at the moment. The differences are so subtle!
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, after chatting with Declan, leaning toward the Green Faze (with non reverse wound bridge) or the Ones.

Yeah, so many choices.... I hate shopping for pickups. Most of my Tokai humbuckers stay unchanged (57 PAF's and MKII's) because I love how they sound. Have had great luck with Greco's "named" (Dry, Screamin, The Groove) pickups too.
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Myself, after chatting with Declan, leaning toward the Green Faze (with non reverse wound bridge) or the Ones.

Yeah, so many choices.... I hate shopping for pickups. Most of my Tokai humbuckers stay unchanged (57 PAF's and MKII's) because I love how they sound. Have had great luck with Greco's "named" (Dry, Screamin, The Groove) pickups too.

What's the reasoning for fancying those two sets?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sound I'm after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdKx9O31A0

And Declan recommended the two sets. I'm keen on the Peter Green set (similar to the Ones but Alnico 4 magnets) but I'm not wanting the out of phase mod.... he said I can get the bridge non reverse wound - which ought to sound awesome because the bridge and neck pups alone sound great to my ear.
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
This is the sound I'm after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdKx9O31A0

And Declan recommended the two sets. I'm keen on the Peter Green set (similar to the Ones but Alnico 4 magnets) but I'm not wanting the out of phase mod.... he said I can get the bridge non reverse wound - which ought to sound awesome because the bridge and neck pups alone sound great to my ear.

Ooooh that's a nice tune

Interesting note about getting the Green's non-reverse wound. Although now I may blame you for increasing the list of options... Rrrr.

One, Two, Greens. Tempted to just pick one at random. Hate choice.

http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice?language=en
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a brilliant video clip. It kind of speaks to why some people thrive in the military, assembly lines and even jail - because most all of their choices are made for them.

People do become paralyzed by indecision - so do governments.

I've asked Declan if he has any sound clips for the non reverse would Green Faze p'ups. But based upon how good the bridge and neck sound, they can't help but sound great.

Here's a great review that someone did on the Green Fazes and several sound clips - in fact, I think someone already put this up on this thread:

http://guitargear.org/2014/07/09/gear-review-deacci-pure-legend-green-faze-humbuckers/
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
That was a brilliant video clip. It kind of speaks to why some people thrive in the military, assembly lines and even jail - because most all of their choices are made for them.

People do become paralyzed by indecision - so do governments.

I've asked Declan if he has any sound clips for the non reverse would Green Faze p'ups. But based upon how good the bridge and neck sound, they can't help but sound great.

Here's a great review that someone did on the Green Fazes and several sound clips - in fact, I think someone already put this up on this thread:

http://guitargear.org/2014/07/09/gear-review-deacci-pure-legend-green-faze-humbuckers/

Interesting, I've never thought about it in such way. Maybe Deacci should have a 'mystery box' option?

I've asked Declan for a picy of the pickup covers, I presume he wont mind if I share it here, in case there are some other people curious about the exact look of the options.

Nickle in middle, I will presume the other silvery shiny one is chrome and the plain one 'unplated'? Please correct me if I'm special.

I've read that review already and I've had a look on web, but all I've come across is other forums discussing the pickups before buying them! Which is self explanatory since the good price is to get more people to try them ...
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice... I like the nickel and the unplated!
MrDeacci
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neck is reverse wound on the Green Faze, the magnet wire also has a thicker insulation which increases treble response. The a4 magnets also help

I can put 4 wire on the neck so you can have the choice of in phase or out of phase.

If wiring is not your thing, just shout and I will talk you through any version you needhelp.with

All.sets are.very close together in terms of output, but they all have their own voice, and each of those can be tuned to the player, the guitar and the amp you use.

Too much choice ? Wait until you see the new version of the web software where I am going to give control of how the pickup is wound so you can customise even further..... That's for the new year though.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: