Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DRY Z Crushers!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to confuse you more but I did a Direct Comparison with these and the Screamin 82s which have that little high end hair on them and I much prefer these. And I LOVE me some Scremin 82. Loved I should say. LOL I even bought extra sets I liked them so much. Anyone wanna buy some screamin 82's? LOL
Sigmania
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely. Glad to see this. Wondering about shipping to the U.S. ?
MrDeacci
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus,

It is really all down to your taste, the Zero through to the III are intended to be the full range of output that you would expect to find from a good selection of old PAF's.

Being the lowest output the Zeros are indeed the brightest, stronger magnets are the easiest way to compensate for more compression and darker tones as you put more wire on the bobbin.

I use 42 AWG with a thicker insulation on the PG neck pickup to help brighten it it up a little more than standard. The PG set is otherwise very similar to the the Ones. If you dont want the out of phase thing then its easy to simply not do it. So with A2 Mags you can still have bright with a little more output, just not quite as articulate and airy as the Zeros.

the choice..... is completely yours but I will try to keep you on a track that will work.

Sigmania,

shipping to the US is ?15 however the system will remove 20% vat from the sale proce for non-EU customers so you guys get an even better deal as I am fairly sure US customs don't add any import duties on a value this small, although please check that out as I am not sure if there is a variation by state

declan
Sigmania
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should ask before I order. Are the prices per pickup? Or per set?

Also, if I get covers, are they soldered or separate and I can add them later if I choose?

Thanks!
MrDeacci
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are per set, and you can have your covers however you wish. Just let me.know when.ordering as by default they are soldered on
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Declan.... so we can get them uncovered and have the covers shipped with the set? Obviously, the cost will be for covered pickups.

Dug around a bit for the factory specs of the pickups that came with my Bacchus. I'd forgotten that the bridge p'up magnet was ceramic while the bridge was Alnico V. Here's what they are - what is your initial impression?

Neck Pickup BHV-A5
Magnet: Alnico 5
Wire: # 42 enameled
Number of turns: 5,300
Resistance: 8.5kΩ

Bridge - BHH
Magnet: Ferrite Wire: # 43 Polyurethane
Number of turns: 7200 inner bobbin, bobbin outer 7300
Resistance 14.7kΩ

Wanting to brighten them up, I replaced them with Peter Florance Voodoo 60's - with an Alnico III in the neck and Alnico V in the bridge. Output on these are rated at 7.6 - 8.3K. They sound okay.

For the record, my favorite HB pickups ever are in my 91 Greco SA64-90 (ES335) - a set of their The Groove pup's. Ceramic magnets if I recall correctly and they just sound great. Snarly but clear and articulate (might also be due to the semi hollow body too - nothing like that sound either)
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't ask but I've recently had 3 new Bacchus and I'd have to say the PU's they are using suck. And that's my sophisticated expert opinion. LOL You are in for a treat with this upgrade. I had put Dr Z's in the Bacchus and it was a huge improvement. And now this is an improvement over that. :>) Lets hear it for the Irish!! :>)

Last edited by Mitch Malloy on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sl?inte!!
MrDeacci
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus, they are probably fine pickups for metal, it's an area of the spectrum.I haven't dabbled in enough as I feel much less qualified to know what is supposed to sound good. I haven't played with ceramic on lower winds at all, A8 is my current most powerful magnet and the Macha is the highest output pickup I currently wind, so wouldn't be fair for me to criticise but it sounds like you might better appreciate the brightness of a much lower wind in that guitar. Correct me.if.I am wrong, but your Bacchus is basically. LP standard construction ?

No prob sending covers separately, I'm not.going to get precious about the pickup covers being.soldered, I can send a strip of gum with them, which you can place over the bobbin if you choose to solder the covers on later. Its a simple and.effective way to avoid cover microphonics without potting them.

Slainte

Declan
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's all about clarity and musicality. If I want super hairy metal tones I will get them but with the clearest possible front end. When you start with articulation in the beginning you are always much better off and will ultimately get a better sound no matter what you are after. Providing of course you can play. With articulation comes a larger discernment of technique and musicality. Now having said that more articulation also forces you to become better. So it's a win win. The thing with these pickups is not only are they articulate but they are also musical. They capture a deeper feeling of the music for me than the Greco's. It's one thing to have it super clean and clinical but yet another to have it defined yet still musical. I have no idea how Declan did it but I can tell you one thing for sure. He dug deep. And was extremely focused. You would have to do to get this result.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it's all subjective of what we like and what we expect "that sound" to be like. Myself, I'm a blues guy and I don't play with many pedals or effects (other than tremolo and reverb for my amps that don't have them). I'm looking for that open, woody, honky Les Paul tone..... here's a good example in the intro this song from the Allman Brothers' first album. Wait for the solos and you can hear both Duane and Dickey play (I still don't know who is playing which solo because there's no slide on it). One is obviously on the bridge and the other on the neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdKx9O31A0

Declan, yes the Bacchus LP is is a typical Les Paul build. One piece back, solid top. Weighs about 9 lbs.
Sigmania
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order in. Thanks!

I needed a set of pickups for the solid top LS80/100/120 whatever it is. I love the Jaurez wound Seymour Duncan 59 that is in the bridge. It's sounds really crisp on chords and still meaty. Will keep that pickup for sure, but at these prices I figured I would experiment since a previous owner had already changed out the original pickups.

I got a set of double cream and a set of zebras. Couldn't decide.

Can't wait to get my greasy paws on them. Thanks!

jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Obviously it's all subjective of what we like and what we expect "that sound" to be like. Myself, I'm a blues guy and I don't play with many pedals or effects (other than tremolo and reverb for my amps that don't have them). I'm looking for that open, woody, honky Les Paul tone..... here's a good example in the intro this song from the Allman Brothers' first album. Wait for the solos and you can hear both Duane and Dickey play (I still don't know who is playing which solo because there's no slide on it). One is obviously on the bridge and the other on the neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdKx9O31A0

Declan, yes the Bacchus LP is is a typical Les Paul build. One piece back, solid top. Weighs about 9 lbs.

sounds a bit like peter green to me marcus, specially the 2nd part of the solo
on the neck pickup.
just my 2 cents
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw crap,

the sale is over.
funkilius
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sale prices on Deacci.com are finished( just checked)..............but.......Mr Deacci (aka Declan) in a previous post says offer will be extended to end of October..........(hopefully this is the case as I fancied a set of LP59 Two's).............can this be confirmed by the man himself?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: