Help date my BreezySound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willivory

Reaction score
Details:

Serial # 2XXXX
#55 (oval label at rear base of neck)
"4-9 YSO V" under rhythm pickup
'52 ATE "V" maple neck w/ modified "made for America" headstock
3-tone sunburst w/ faux tweed case..
Silver script "Tokai" on headstock w/ "BreezySound" in black block letters
Red cloth pickup wiring
6 separate bridge saddles
"Tokai" inscribed on bridge plate

Just wondering if the "BreezySound" name is still used for the Tele models or if it was discontinued, and when. I'm thinking this is an early to mid-eighties guitar but I have no way to confirm it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Will

err...hi

the Breezysound was probably made in 1985....around April...on a Thursday....2:00pm - give or take 15 minutes.

Is it Left Handed???
YSO is not a colour that was used on TE55.

Peter Mac

Thanks for your response, Peter Mac, even if it was a bit "tongue in cheek". I'd be curious to know how you arrived at your conclusion, however. What does YSO stand for? No, the guitar is a right-handed instrument. Probably an ATE55 as opposed to a TE55 due to the modified headstock but I'm no expert. I've tried to process all the information about dating instruments I've picked up on this site but it still gets very confusing at times. Anyway, if it is an 18 year old instrument it sure is in pristine shape. Either way, it doesn't make a difference. It looks, plays, and sounds great. When I snapped it up on eBay I actually thought it might be a "lawsuit"model with the Fender style headstock. When I found out differently, before I got the instrument, I began searching eBay for a Fender neck. To be honest, when I receieved it I discovered the neck on this thing is beautiful in look and feel and I wouldn't touch it. Just have to get past the Fender mindset. Considering its condition and the fact that it has an older tweed case I think its well worth the $400 I paid for it. Thanks again.

Will

Hi Will,

YSO is the colour code for 3-tone Sunburst. Whilst I won't tell you how i come to the date, i think you will find it is reasonably accurate. The logo puts it post-83 and the ATE's were not made for very long - maybe 6 years in total. The Breezysound logo, altered headstock and black oval sticker confirm it as an ATE-55

To be honest, it sounds like a nice axe. I know the ATE-55 had the 'U' style neck, the oval '55' would be the price index (55,000yen) and the 6-saddle bridge was mainly used for the cheaper models - even though it was a better bridge than the 3-saddle used on the more expensive models. Body is alder and the neck is one piece maple.

Fender laminated maple fingerboards onto maple necks from '66 so straight away the Tokai is ahead, and for $400 - man, you try and buy a 1958 Telecaster for that. Even the 1985 Telecasters weren't built as well as the Tokai so change your mindset and enjoy the beast.
Anyone can get a Fender - Tokai are a lot harder to aquire.

regards
Peter Mac

Hi Will,

on a high note...
YSO for the Breezysound was a Custom colour...hence the model being ATE-55 instead of ATE-50.
The Standard colours for Breezysounds are:
GS - 2-tone sunburst
MR - Metallic Red
BB - Black
BL - Blonde
All other finishes are regarded as Custom and attracted an extra 5,000yen cost...so your guitar is a bit rarer than most Breezysounds.
Lucky person you are! A Custom colour Breezy at a bargain price.

Peter Mac

so the 6 saddles were on cheaper models? I`ve seen a one piece body TE-80 with them. Was 1 piece common?

Hi sneaky

1 piece is never common.It is most likely ash body.
It depends on the Fenda year model being replicated as to the 3 or 6 saddle bridge - even if the Tokai model is the same. In other words- some TE-80 will have 3 saddles if they are 1948 - 52 replicas where others that have "custom" touches or finishes may be given a 6 saddle.
The TE-80A is a great example - 1 piece ash body with abalone inlays in a natural finish - has 6 saddles.
A TE-80BL in blonde finish would only have 3.
Both models cost the same....TE-120's have 3, TE-200's have 6, etc, etc but ALL TE-50's have 6 - this was my point.

Peter Mac

so there are 120 and 200 models... those should be the top of the line then, if Tokai uses the same formula for models as other makers here those digits should stand for the sale price in thousands of yen. 120,000 and 200,000 respectively. Have not yet seen those here, most are the 50 and 80 models. I`m gonna have to hold out for a high end guitar.l

Hi guys,

the TE-200 is an all-rosewood guitar - body and neck are solid Indian rosewood - it is quite a guitar. Very, very rare.
I had a TE-120 in 2-tone sunburst with abalone inlay around the ash body, a highly flamed maple neck with a 'V' profile and rosewood fingerboard.
Most TE models are 50,60 or 70 series. 80 series are hard to find but not impossible.
My friend Luis from Spain has been searching for a TE-200 for years and is yet to find one so don't hold your breath, OK.
If you think you have come across one, email me and i can tell you if it is an original or the TE-60 re-issue rosewood.

regards
Peter Mac

Check out http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/, they have a solid rosewood Breezysound at ?699 this is a new guitar but I'm unsure of model no.

Bobw

hey guys! I did not know TE-80 is such a rare one. as I am watching (and probably let go???)2 TE-80, both sunburst, maple FB. Actually, one might be one of VERY rare one as it is made in 79 and have TOKAI stamp on bridge plate... I'll keep eyes on these guitars!

Hey guys,

bobw - that rosewood tele is not solid - just finished alder made to look like roserwood...something around a TE-60 i would imagine

Hi Barry,..your TE-80's thin finish could be that it is applied over an ash body...ash is quite porous and absorbs the N/C laquers quite a bit...just a thought

ciao
Peter

Latest posts

Back