Tokai Breezysound TE-80 info please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legit or not?

• Legit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not-legit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gonetroppo

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I need to find out about a Tokai Breezysound I just picked up up in a part trade deal. The guy I got it from told me it was a 78' TE-80 model based on the old spaghetti decal and the 80 at the base of the neck - but it seems really difficult to find accurate info on this. It is a 2 piece body.. Is this legit on a TE-80?

I would really like to know more about this guitar. He wanted $1000 for it originally before the part trade. It has upgraded locking tuners, 4 way switch and came with a hardcase.

So many questions - but any info at all would be much appreciated! Please see pics below.

The more research I'm doing it seems this is not the original neck on this body. The pickups are stamped TEB as opposed to TEA - it is also a 2 piece body.

The wood is looking closer to alder than ash as well...

At least the seller seems to be keen to make things right.

Spaghetti logo was used up to and including 1982.

There were no Tokai tele models made in 1978, the first ones appear mid 1979.

Model stickers appear in the third quarter of 1980, previous to that the neck had a model stamp at the last fret.

The serial number on the neck plate is from 1982, third quarter to be more precise.

Up to and including 1981 a TE-80 should have 1P body, in 1982 things change.
Also the same thing for the pickups, they should be TE-A for a TE-80 model.

The best thing you can do is check the production stamp and the body and see if it's near the one on the neck. Then you know if neck and nody are original to each other.

For now the conclusion is that is a 1982 model.

Yes Suki, the L serial format began in 1982 along with other Fender formats
used, depending on the Fender Tele date range represented.

I was recently informed 6 barrel bridges were used on earlier TE-80's
but the bridge base plate would still be gold colored (silver colored on models lower than TE-80's).
Jacco beat me to it, but yes a 3 barrel bridge was used on 1982 models, so I would think at a minimum,
either your bridge or neck plate is not original, and the TEB pickup doesn't belong with the pre-82 TE-80 bridge ?
Checking body and neck stamps for similar numbers is not a guarantee,
but similar X=XX codes would still be your best indicator of whether the neck and body started out together.
I wish Tokai would have stamped serial #'s in neck pockets and neck at base plate mount point as well.
Who could have guessed the headaches partcasters would cause ? :-?

My former 1982 TE-80 has a 1 piece ash body and TEA pickups, if that helps.

9694594867_07112f590e_o.jpg

Hi Guys,

Whatever the year 1982 -up, L series numbers were never used with Maple necks. a Tele partsocaster probably.
Logo placement and string tree indicates a '58 replica, so neck would not be from a TE-80, more likely a TE-50/55.
Body also screams TE-50 due to chrome parts, 'B' stamp pups and lack of binding (TE-70).

Breezys are easier to identify than springys due to fewer models.

looks like a a probably legit TE-80 neck and a legit TE-50 body.

not legit in combination :D

Is there an "A" stamped onto the neck heel along with the number code ? Or just a number code and no letter ?
What?s the neck shape like ? U or V ?

if the neck was from a TE-80, the logo would be between the nut and a round string tree - not placed after a square string tree ( as they were after 1957). It is not a TE-80 neck. The sticker has been placed there.
1958 and 1967 replica necks by Tokai have a square string tree and the logo after the tree. TE-50, TE-60 and TE-70 used this style neck.
...so this cannot be from a TE-80.
Also the 1967 replicas have a laminated fingerboard - not one piece maple.

IMHO - this guitar is at best a 1982 TE-60, but more likely a TE-50.

Peter Mac

Hi Chris!
Yes I disagree and you know why.
Please post some pics, there are a lot of interested people in this thread. Might even give you more info.

jacco said:
Hi Chris!
Yes I disagree and you know why.
Please post some pics, there are a lot of interested people in this thread. Might even give you more info.

I do?
I posted pics and info in their own thread already back in Mar 21, 2012 but there wasn't a ton of interest.

Neck is 100% Tokai and definitely has not been refinished (original lacquer intact) or sanded so why no logo?
Why no bridge embossing.
Why refinish with the wiring/hardware left in place as the original solder is still intact with no overspray at all on the wires?

6856127082_e205906a6a_b.jpg
6856127364_0c48cfd76a_b.jpg

7002238719_60eae1eff1_b.jpg

7002238807_769b626dc5_b.jpg

6856924546_7fa4845490_b.jpg

7003037153_710d38c98f_b.jpg

6856916808_8cb165753e_b.jpg

13370991443_da8e5aa543_b.jpg

jacco said:
Beautiful guitar!
Do you also have the pics as how it arrived?

I don't understand, how are you discerning that these are not?
You must be confused with another guitar or perhaps it is not what you remember?

Those are the pics taken on the day it arrived, March 20th 2012.
The only one that isnt would be the headstock front, which was recently taken outside.

Ok, my bad, I thought you refinished the body. It has the same look as your refinished guitars do.
Maybe post the pics of the body routing and body stamps?

Refinished? :-?
My whole point of mentioning this guitar was how it seems to be original and early. :wink:
I would be impressed if I could mimic the wear and checking this thing has, that only comes with age.
You cannot see the routes in the pics above?
Typical Tokai routes for the time period.

6856919080_be57f837f9_b.jpg

6856923572_18d9901e2d_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back