1984 Silver Star - identical except S/N on/off headstock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowWatt

Reaction score
I'm looking at 2 black with maple neck 1984 Silver Stars online and will be seeing them in person tomorrow so I want to come in with as much knowledge as possible.

The only clear difference is that one has a serial number on the headstock beneath the Tokai logo and the other one has a super thin line of text instead.

All the hardware looks traditional 70s Fender style.

What should I be looking for (past playability and tone of course) to help determine what model each may be?

Thanks

Hi LowWatt

Silverstars are a very under-rated model so buying these at a good price should not be hard. Without photos it's very hard to identify them both so here are some basic guidelines.

SS-36 thru SS-85 1978 - 1986
a) first digit will tell you year of manufacture. ( 101xxxx = 1981, etc )
b) machine heads would indicate a model (SS-48 up = enclosed , ss36-40 = regular)
c) 3 bolt neck attachment on all except SS-60.
d) bullet truss rod.
e) flat top pickups
f) logo is Black with gold outline

SS-60 1982-1984
a) serial# on plate (6 digit) - not headstock
b) Kluson-style machine heads
c) 4 bolt neck attachment
d) no bullet truss rod
e) staggered pickup poles
f) logo is Gold with black outline

If it was me, I would buy them both, get them identified and sell whichever one is not your favourite or just keep them. Take your time, play them both and enjoy.

Peter Mac

Great info. Thanks.

Peter Mac said:
Hi LowWatt

Silverstars are a very under-rated model so buying these at a good price should not be hard. Without photos it's very hard to identify them both so here are some basic guidelines.

SS-36 thru SS-85 1978 - 1986
a) first digit will tell you year of manufacture. ( 101xxxx = 1981, etc )
b) machine heads would indicate a model (SS-48 up = enclosed , ss36-40 = regular)
c) 3 bolt neck attachment on all except SS-60.
d) bullet truss rod.
e) flat top pickups
f) logo is Black with gold outline

SS-60 1982-1984
a) serial# on plate (6 digit) - not headstock
b) Kluson-style machine heads
c) 4 bolt neck attachment
d) no bullet truss rod
e) staggered pickup poles
f) logo is Gold with black outline

If it was me, I would buy them both, get them identified and sell whichever one is not your favourite or just keep them. Take your time, play them both and enjoy.

Peter Mac

Hey Peter, that information was so helpful. I was looking at a '79 Silver Star and looking for details and that was spot on. Thanks!

Back