2012 AST70 ???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokentoes

Reaction score
Put in an offer on this guitar and it arrived today. Nary even a scratch on it. Even for Tokai it seems a incredibly well made quality instrument, and i noticed it's body is made up of only 2 pieces of slightly flamed alder. I was wondering could this guitar be a AST100 ?? It has a 1 ply scratchplate with the 8 outside screws. I thought the lower end models were at least 3 pieces ?? Need to get back to playing it !! Any info would be grateful.

Cheers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Tokai-AST70-Strat-Guitar-in-Sunburst-Goldstar-Sound-Japan-Made-MIJ-/111423252879?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=4E84JThT8xYCb1jIf21NqLikzy0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thanks for the replys and the congrats.

I'll admit that i'm not really generally a strat guy, but i do like them as i'm a guitar ***** lol. i don't really know about the different years and their specs and all that stuff. I put in a offer/bid thinking it was an AST70 and they accepted my offer to my surprise. When i recieved the guitar i have to say that i'm a bit blown away, my girlfriend was neeeding sleep so i have yet to even plug it in so i can't comment on the electric sound yet, but i already have a couple of strats, a 78 Greco SE500 and an '81 Greco SE600. They are both nice guitars, but this guitar is worlds apart. I always feel that strats to me have what i can only describe as a "toylike" feel to them. This Goldstar does not feel anything like that.

I looked at a catalog and from what i can see this might not be the AST70 i thought i was throwing an offer on, but you know that you can only trust catalogs to a point so i figured someone might be able to confirm my thoughts. Did Tokai make a two piece body, i ply 8 screw scratchguard Goldstar in 2012 ?? I suppose i can just open her up and see if there's anything under the hood that will give an answer one way or the other but i want to play the guitar more before i bother with tinkering around.

Marcus as to the neck profile, it's not a v-shape for sure. it's a big chunker though that's for sure. Real Beefy. I play all sorts of guitars, acoustics and electrics and i never worry about the neck shape, i just adapt to each guitar, i suppose if i was a better player it would make a difference, but i haven't reached that level yet lucky for me lol.

Also the case this guitar came in is very well made, quite a bonus.

35amy6p.jpg

It's hard to tell because in addition to the catalog models Tokai makes custom order guitars with distributor's specifications.

I have a 2013 ATE82 with 2 pieces body.

If you can distinguish a nitro finish it's easy to know if its a AST100.

^ Yeah I have a poly more modern (few years old, I bought it new) breezy with a trans blonde finish and it's a 2-piece centre-jointed body. So having a 2-piece body doesn't necessarily mean it's a 100.

EDIT: nice score, by the way. 22 frets too, that's nice :)

Yeah, i noticed the 22 frets wasn't spec to that catalog and i know to expect the unexpected with Japanese guitars, i bought it expecting it to be as advertized, but i'm very impressed with the guitar, in the end i really don't care too much what model it is, just curious really. It came strung with a new set of strings, next time i switch them up i'll investigate further.

Thanks

brokentoes said:
Did Tokai make a two piece body, i ply 8 screw scratchguard Goldstar in 2012 ??

Yes, they still make them.
All the AST70s are two piece bodies, available in ash or alder.

Latest posts

Back