just orderd a 1977 Greco strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakyjapan

Reaction score
in natural finish, all lacquer, sen wood for the body. Big headstock rosewood fingerboard.

Sneaky,Greco became Fender Japan on `82,that is the reason why you can`t see any Greco strat or tele replica after that date.A 77 Greco could be made by Matsumoto factory or....by Tokai(who knows....)

could be but Greco are still making guitars here. I have the 2003 catalog. I`ll have a look in the neck pocket when it gets here to check for markings and / or dates.

So, if Greco became Fender Japan in 82', did that factory start putting out the original "Fender" logo Squier guitars and if so, what happened to Greco's Ibanez connection?

Greco seemed to have continued with the spot on Gibson replicas after this date though.

Answers on a post card please.

Lee,Greco`s owner at that time were Kanda Shokai,a Fender partner to found Fender Japan.It seems Fender asked Tokai before but Tokai did not agree to joint the project.

I have a Fernder Japan 2 tone strat from August 1982. The neck needs work and I`m afraid to mess with the truss rod so I bought a 1987 FJ strat with a maple board and put the neck on the `82. I don`t know of any good techs in this city so I guess it will have to wait till I get back home for good... kinda cool having a piece of Fender Japan history. I read that FJ started making guitars in March of `82.

just a link... my contribution....
:D
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/story.htm

Latest posts

Back