Looking for a needle in a haystack!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxrocker

Reaction score
First time on the forum and just wanted to say a huge thank you to all for the site which has really opened my eyes to the number of fakes out there so will be definitely making a donation given it's saved me money already! As I live on the Isle of Man (great place) I really have to buy online so have to trust I am getting the real thing

I'm looking for a genuine springy sound or goldstar strat on ebay and wondered if there are any that look good. I understand that I will still be taking a risk but would value any pointers from the listings at the moment

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum !!

Are you looking for any particular year ?? old vs. new ?? You might state your preference of fretboard and body woods, whether you'd prefer a higher model or lower model. If you know what you want there just might be someone with it around these parts.

Cheers

Thank you for the reply. Looking for a springy sound or goldstar. Poss model 80/85 no preference on woods but looking for original in nitro. Have looked at Japan guitar and I have to say site and owner are brilliant and genuinely helpful, maybe have eye on something else from him and cost of tokai on top maybe bit over what I can afford right now

Was probably looking ?300-400, was looking orinally up to 1985 ish, having looked around though may have to go a bit higher?

Yes thought so, saw a nice st50 but never played an 80 to compare to. Only seen a couple of 80's at around ?1200 all be it superb looking guitars!

Personally, I love my high end MIJs but I can't imagine there is a better strat than my ST-55. I must say I had it refinished in nitro because I like the feel of it but I can't hear the difference. If I were you, I'd score a nice ST-50 or 60.

Would you consider a Greco strat at all ?? Usually a bit cheaper to buy than a Tokai, i have a '81 SE600 thats nitro that i bought for $400. Some good deals out there if you can wait.

There is a sub-section of the forum that is Greco focused. If you are interested just pose any questions about htem in the Greco forum here.
I think the pre 78 models are matsomoko, then fujigen made till they change gears a bit with their super real series from '80 - sometime '82. The Mint Collection series starts after that to about 1990. I think most peole agree thats the timeline of sorts. The most vintage correct start in "80 but there are wiser peeps in here that have more info than i.

Latest posts

Back