Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar World 2004 Buyers Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Guitar World 2004 Buyers Guide Reply with quote

Just got back from vacation where I took some reading materials with me to enjoy...What the H*ll is up with Guitar pricing?!!!When did guitars, any guitar start costing more than $3,000 dollars? I hate Guitar Center, I don't go there unless I have to! So I don't look at prices or what they have thats new . I get in and get out! That buyers guide is ri diculous! And embarasing! What has happenned to my sport? I loved to look at the fold out in G World...When it was a Guitar of some note! Not the goofy looking guys from Korn! and now It's turning into a Gentlemans Magazine!! Bikini Babes and a 6 string in the foldout? My daughter thinks I'm an old pervert ! So Guitar World out! Back to Guitar Player and Vintage Guitar for reading enjoyment! Also no mention of the Worlds Finest Musical Instruments...Tokai!! Dillion is there! But look out ! everyone is pricing their stuff like Gibson now and Fender is buying all the other companies! I'm headed back to the Net for my shopping! By the way , there are no Tokais in the Bahammas, I looked! TG
tokaigeezer
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TG

Just my add to the Guitar Center experience. Had never been, so I went to one three weeks ago in Phoenix. Place staffed by 20-something alternazoids intent upon playing Korn, Marilyn Manson and other detuned dreck at maximum volume throughout the entire store - even in the acoustic room it was too loud. The best sounding Strat there was a scratched-up Jimmie Vaughan, by the way - better than a Custom Shop Player Strat at $1,600.

All instruments were dinged heavily and obviously pawed badly. A pair of 10-year-old boys were dragging a sunburst Les Paul (bumping it along the floor as they were too short to actually hold it properly) on their way to the Marshall stacks. Tried to play a Fender Marcus Miller bass in the high-end room, just to hear what it sounded like acoustically and then perhaps through a small Ampeg, when another goateed clown came in, took a Paul Reed Smith off the wall, turned a 2x12 Marshall combo up to 8 and proceded to go "weedleweedleweedleweee" etc. at ear-splitting volume - in a very small place. Quickly fled and saved some hearing cells.

It seems the whole store is designed to make it impossible for people to hear what a guitar actually sounds like, acoustically and then amped, which is what I thought the whole thing was about. Maybe I am getting old, but what chaos - why buy there? A hideous landing in guitar hell - luckily they don't lock the door behind you.

Steve

p.s. Did find a really cool music store called The Bass Place in Scottsdale, Ariz. They had a used Reverend 5-string that sounded like the best Jazz Bass you ever heard, excellent condition, early serial number, w/ hard case for $500. Was sorely tempted but my wife and son were there, so ... someday (maybe) But those Rev basses are great - warm and funky and the low B is just gut-rattling! It's so cool sounding you just start laughing at how low and clear it is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: