More photos of trem block and U pups on an st55. any ideas ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godless Red

Reaction score
http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/godlessred/library/?sort=3&page=1

was wondering if this helped clarify which model, which year it was manufactured ?

any suggestions appreciated.

Hopefully someone will chime in soon (and may contradict this) but to me it looks like an all original 1984 goldstar and it's gotta be higher than an st50 because of the blue paint... so with the U pups and what looks like original electrics I'm going to guess st60.
FWIW The serial number is very close to mine (mid-16ooo) and I've been told here that my goldie is a mid-1984.

Hi guys,
IMO, this appears to be a late-83 Goldstar, ST-55 MB.
Essentially an ST-50 with custom paint (MB) although i do find the lack of body concerning.
Regarding the tremelo block, it seems odd that it doesn't have the 'Made In Japan' cast into the bottom but overall, it seems to be a mighty fine guitar and all original.
Don't sweat it, just fret it

Peter Mac

If it is an 83 st 55 which the evidence suggests then it has a steel bridge.Stamped bridge blocks are all pot metal .Test it with a magnet.If there is any possibility of this guitar having had respray which the lack of colour code might possibly suggest, have a look under the neck body interface for traces of another colour...Gabe.

Thanks very much,
will sort out a magnet to test .
Yeah , no body stamp as paint covers up where youd expect to find the body stamp, all cavaties are covered by paint.
Only visual flaw is neck pocket gap.
Plays well despite this, i have it set up for slide, its got a real springy tension to it that i havent got on my frnder mij strats, dont know if this is down to set up, build or aged well worn springs in trem system.
Have noticed that both tuning down slightly to the mAgic 447 Hz works well for open G on this guitar, as tuning up from standard tuning to 447Hz works well for Chic's Le Freak.
Currnetly have a bit of plastic fairy liquid bottle underneath saddle of high e string to raise it sufficently for slide, though have ordered some 8mm Metric M3 height saddle screws to replace the 6mm stock on the E strings, would rather set action via bridge than remove neck umpteen times to gauge and adjust neck bow.
Noticed that i have to whack the mids up full on my amp to get bite, normally have them set under half way for my other mij strats. The U stamps are a lot mellower/ less hot than the fender ST japan pups.

Unfortunately have only had it for under a week, and as its my first (of many ) tokai i'll be holding on to it for a while.
Not too much round on e bay gumtree at the moment in the way of Tokai strats.

Back