Please help me IDing this LP Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyl

Reaction score
LP01_zpsbaa78513.jpg

LP02_zps3368192f.jpg

LP03_zps8e32231b.jpg

The seller says it was made in Japan in the '70s by Matsumoku, but he was pretty vague when I asked for proof...
Any help/inputs more than appreciated! :wink:

Need more pictures...

But for me personally, I've seen enough to throw that on a fire and walk away.

I know very little about Gibsons but it seems wrong that the diamond inlay goes under the tuners. And doesn't Gibson use 2 screw truss rod cover? And I thought Gibson LP Customs have multilayer binding? The binding on that one looks like it was done while drunk and with a sharpie... :wink:

Ciao, Johnnyl

That looks like a generic Chinese Les Paul copy with a very bad attempt to make the headstock look like a Gibson.
I wouldn't waste any time on that one.

Thanks guys, doesn't look too good to me either... The only thing that makes me think twice is the quality of the inlay material: it looks very much like real mother of pearl, which is typical of '70s-'80s MIJ copies, and never to be found on more recent MIC/MIK ones... Could be the flash though!

TonyH said:
I know very little about Gibsons but it seems wrong that the diamond inlay goes under the tuners. And doesn't Gibson use 2 screw truss rod cover? And I thought Gibson LP Customs have multilayer binding? The binding on that one looks like it was done while drunk and with a sharpie... :wink:
Don't get me wrong, the guitar isn't sold as a Gibson, and it's quite clear that it has nothing to do with the Nashville based brand. :wink:
The seller is selling this as a '70s Matsumoku guitar.

Latest posts

Back