pickups to put in a '83 LS-50 Goldtop...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlovee

Reaction score
My Love Rock goldtop project continues...I'd like to swap out the pickups and was wondering what others have tried.

Here's the guitar...

I play mostly clean with some light blues crunch sometimes. The existing PUPs, '57 Vintage Mk II (?), actually sound very good to me but a bit compressed and I'm looking for something more open.

Depends on your budget, these come to mind;

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage&pickup=stormy_monday

Seth Lovers are really for not so many money and gives that crunch reall y well.
Dr. Vs are really good so are the Legends from Wolfetone. More money and fantastic pickups Rolph 58. But for a LS/50 I went with Seths,PIO caps, centralab pots and that is all.

Thanks for the ideas. Those bareknuckle pups sound like they'd be perfect but get a bit pricey once I add the aged nickel cover. I checked into Seth Lovers and that led me to Antiquities, which are basically Seth Lovers with some 'aging' process and reliced covers if I'm reading it correctly.

Apparently the Antiquities come with black rings and its not an option to get cream. hmmm...I hope that doesn't lead to problems.

I guess I'll find out.

Hi carlovee,

When replacing the Tokai with Antiquities, be sure not to get the screws mixed up as they are different threads.
Tokai pup surrounds will take the SD's without a problem - remember Tokai did use SD's with the LS-150 and LS-200 and other high-end TLS models, and used the same pickup surround.

Peter

PS : Before someone posts it - I am aware that LS-150 primarily had DiMarzio PAF & SuperD - but Duncans were offered as an option. LS-200 primarily had Duncans but also offered DiMarzios as an option.

Back