CRACK THE TOKAI CODE "1=2=N=Z" (ST50???)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckelly

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently picked this guitar up from a guy who bought it in a pawn shop in London. It looks to me to be an ST50. Some Fender owner wannabe has scraped off the headstock decal which is really annoying :evil: .

It is in remarkably good condition for it's age and plays like a dream.

I'm facinated by the codes on the guitar and wonder if anyone has managed to decipher them. Anyway, pics of the guitar are posted at the site below if you are interested.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ozcop/st50/question.html

Regards,

Wellsy
Brisbane, Australia

I think the "N" in the body cavity refers to Natural as it usually has the colour code there. Usually Black would have "BK" I personally think youve got a Natural finish replica re-painted Black. Any other opinions ?

After checking, I think the colour code for Black is "BB" and "N" is natural. See link to colour codes in Tokai Registry

Catalogues - 2000 Tokai Catalogue - Page 23 Color Codes

You might find that under the Black paint you have a really lovely grained 2 piece body ! It does look like there is overspray in the cavity to back this up, and there appears to be laquer over the ID number. The paint is usually pretty solid with only the masking around the ID numbers which is usually on bare wood.

Hi Wellsy,
i live in Brisbane too so I may be able to help further.
my mobile is 0410-494-675

Further to the post..
Black is BB, Natural is N and the cover is a much smaller strip than the one used..i would say it has been resprayed also. If it is a TST50 then the pickups should be grey with a letter "U" stamped on them and black and white cloth wiring.

regards
Peter Mac 8)

What are the numbers on the neck butt? Mine has 4=10. I was told it`s from 1984 so I though it may mean October 1984. The neck pick up cavity has 4=8, which I though was August 1984. Or am I way off on this? I am having difficulty finding any info on my strat. My pick ups have the U as well, but its a 60`s version... 3 tone alder burst with rosewood fingerboard. Bought it in Japan and it doesn`t have the modified headstock, looks like Fender`s.
BTW my serial number is L-08467 on the neck plate.

You guys are great. I really appreciate your input. I'll tell you, if it is a respray it's a pretty good one. Do you think that those finish codes apply to earlier guitars?

Is it possible that this could be a two piece natural body? I'm intrigued. Stripping it back could be a huge error in judgement though...

I have posted some more pics of the cavity and electronics etc. Have a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ozcop/st50/question.html

The plot thickens........... :eek:

Wellsy

LondonBarry said:
Looking at the screw hole areas on your black jobbie, looks like there's no such undercoat?

That makes sense. You would imagine there would be signs of an undercoat..... mmmmmmmm

Any clear or sunburst finishes I have seen, have had laquer over the ID numbers like yours. It would be tempting to remove the Black Paint, but could it be hiding something like a repair or holes where non standard parts were fitted in the past ? Might be best to leave well alone.
On this subject in general though, I have owned around 15 Tokai Springys and Goldys over the years (I have 6 at the moment!), and have always taken detailed photos of them, including these markings. Can anyone suggest a way of me loading them to the site for people to use as reference ? What do you think Ned ?

Looks like you have it up for sale?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2532036050&category=2384

Yes it is for sale. No secrets there. Not sure what you're getting at.... :-?

As I said to another Tokai forum member this morning. I am regretting it already. In fact I intended to end the auction early this morning, but alas it has already reached it's reserve price so I have to do the right thing.

My reason for selling this guitar (apart from spousal pressures) is that I was frustrated at how difficult it has been to get definitive information about vintage Tokai's (apart from this forum obviously). I actually spoke to Tokai (the organisation) about codes and stamps and was laughed at. God forbid you try and get hold of a headstock decal!!

My original plan was to positively identify this guitar, have it refretted and then re-apply the "correct" headstock decal as a finishing touch.

As the old saying goes, act in haste, regret at leisure (or words to that effect).

just adds to the Tokai mystery. All I know is, apart from the fact that the U on the bottom of the pups means a 60`s type, is that My Tokai plays and sounds great. But I got mine less than a week ago so I`m not frustrated about getting info yet.

I'm going to have to make sure I marry a guitar chick who understands GAS. So many fantastic guitars go the way of that ST50... :cry:

sneakyjapan said:
What are the numbers on the neck butt? Mine has 4=10. I was told it`s from 1984 so I though it may mean October 1984. The neck pick up cavity has 4=8, which I though was August 1984. Or am I way off on this? I am having difficulty finding any info on my strat. My pick ups have the U as well, but its a 60`s version... 3 tone alder burst with rosewood fingerboard. Bought it in Japan and it doesn`t have the modified headstock, looks like Fender`s.

I think 4=10 means year 84= week 10. I have one with 3=25. Last time i checked it was only 12 moths :wink:

sneakyjapan said:

I think 4=10 means year 84= week 10. I have one with 3=25. Last time i checked it was only 12 months in a year :wink:

the guy who e-mailed me from Tokai, Adachi san , told me the 4 is the month and the 8 is a production schedule number.

Latest posts

Back