Tokai Goldstar Scratchplate Replacement Dilemma

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobro

Reaction score
Hiya, First post etc.

I've just come into a Goldstar Strat, that needs some TLC.

It play so well, I've been after it for years.

The problem is that my brother (who gave it tome) went through a bit of a 'pop-punk' phase as a kid and etched some stars into the scratch-plate, I've managed to get all his gross 15 year old stickers and residue off it, and given it a good service.

My only problem is the scratch plate looks daft.

I'm debating whether to just nut up and deal with the fact I have a beautiful guitar that sounds great, but has these horrendous stars etched in the plate or I get a replacement scratch-plate.

Would I have to go custom (which i cba to do atm) or would a Fender replacement fit it? If so which ones would you recommend?

Sorry if this is rambling. It's been a long day. I'll post photo's and S/N's when I'm back from work this evening if that will help.

Thanks

I have an ST55 Goldstar and in a fit of foolishness I replaced the original white scratchplate (8-hole, by the way) with a black one: I can't remember the name of the manufacturer, but it wasn't Fender. It fit perfectly. So, subject to correction by others, I'd say you shouldn't have any problem replacing the scratchplate on yours.

(I did put the original one back, incidentally.)

You should be able to restore the scratchplate by polishing out even deep scratches.

See my restoration of an ST-85:
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21205&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

You just need some automotive cutting compound and polish.

Latest posts

Back