Tokai TFV60-MS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas/Sweden

Reaction score
I recently got hold of this '84 TFV60-MS through Yahoo Japan. In near mint condition I was surprised I was the only bidder but happy for that. I still would like to get hold of a white TFV-50 like Marcus's but they never seem to show up.

garbage4615-img600x450-138201738468q4yn41430.jpg

Thanks, it's reminding of the Burny FV85-MS but the neck is a little thinner. It has the Tokai '57 PAF's which I like.

Thomas/Sweden said:
Thanks, it's reminding of the Burny FV85-MS but the neck is a little thinner. It has the Tokai '57 PAF's which I like.

Yeah, the 57 PAF's are quite good sounding in a V body. Nice catch.

Looks just like mine (which I snagged from a shop just outside Tokyo). It does have a pretty thin neck, for sure. On mine the knobs are more discoloured: http://www.firstmail.com/misc/TFV60MSfront1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that poor old Me(n)tal Mickey never made a penny out of these unofficial Japanese signature guitars.

Hi there! Looks nice, you don't get to see them that often. Schenker was endorsed by Aria, the Pro II XXMS which he hardly ever used. Gibson never did a MS style V as opposed to many of the Japanese brands. Don't know if Burny/Fernandes or Greco were the first maker but later on ESP sent him two prototypes to try out. He thought those were to light weight and turned to Dean, which he's endorsed by now. Edwards still makes a dot and also block inlay version of the MS V but as you say, I doubt he makes any money from it.

Actually, there was a Japan-only dealer-specific Gibson V with MS b/w paint job. I've only ever seen it in the original Japanese advert (in a Mooks book) and if I find one, I'll buy it first and tell y'all about it later. :)

The Tokai MSV is a lot of fun. I did see a Greco MSV during the same Tokyo trip, but I stuck with Tokai.

I forgot about that Aria that Schenker used, but I remember it was mentioned in an article in a US guitar magazine about his gear (same article where he explained that in a blind test of pickups done with his tech, he ended up preferring the Shaller Golden 50 pickups.

And, just for fun, here's another MS-inspired guitar:

1235133_10151606783198693_566438653_n_zps9939b77d.jpg

No - I have no woodwork skills! :D It was a Hohner G3T that I had converted by a great luthier.

Sorry - didn't want to derail your MSV thread. Mine's also an '84, and I think Tokai must have missed the peak of Schenker's popularity. I think they only made these for a year or two?

No problem, don't know how many years. Possibly '84, '85, I haven't seen any earlier Tokai MS models or after that.

Back