How good are the 70's Greco's?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
Hi All,

Whilst on a business trip I spotted a nice looking black EGC LP Custom. Dealer says its '1976'.

Looks like a mahogany body, maple top, mahogany neck, fret edge binding. Very dark fretboard - rosewood?. He says it has original p/u's with readings 7.59 K Ohms DC neck and 7.66 KOhms DC bridge. First time Ive ever known someone measure that! Plays nice.

Will get some piccys in due course. Its set neck and looked in good nick.

My question....Having browsed the forum doesn't seem the late 70's are held in as high esteem as the 80's. Is that true? If so is that poorer quality full stop or just erratic quality? ie Some very good, some not.

It wasn't cheap, but doubtless he would take an offer for cash, (?750).

Bob

Hi Bob,

Fret edge binding is an indication of a higher end model Greco.
Further; all 70s Greco customs have the pancake construction and 3P neck, that's why they aren't held in the same high esteem as later Greco's.
I'm guessing it's a mid 70s Greco indeed because you don't mention a serial number. So it might be an EG-1000.
Do the pickups have markings on them?

I'd agree that it is a bit steep for that particular guitar. For the highest models that would be a decent price IMO.

My gut feeling was that it was a bit to pricey.

Picked up a mint mint collection for ?500 a while back. Don't think im getting anything appreciably better for the extra ?200-?250.

Back to ebaying and gumtreeing!

Thanks for advice guys.

Bob

Back