Teisco Spectrum 5: Original or Reissue? Price? Plexiglass?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illold3chordme

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been considering picking up a Teisco Spectrum 5. I am living in Japan at the moment, and they seem to pop up for sale on a fairly regular basis. I have a few questions though that I haven't really been able to find answers to elsewhere:

1) Does anyone know how the re-issues from the 90's compare to the originals, in terms of build/tone or just in general? A part of me thinks I should stick to the 90's model as they tend to be in better shape, but I wonder if it won't have the same type of "magic" as the original model. Does anyone have experience with both models?

2) How much have these been selling for lately (both the reissue and the original)? I know there's one up on eBay now for ~$2500, but I can't really find any sales history on these. I don't expect to get one for cheap, but I don't want to shell out too much more than I should.

3) I've seen a few of those very rare, clear, acrylic/plexiglass models of the Spectrum 5 from the 90's up for sale. I really like the look and idea of that model, but I wonder what kind of effect the plexiglass body would have on the tone. I've heard nothing but bad things about acrylic guitars (too heavy, "plastic" tone). Has anyone played the acrylic model and the other models? Any insight as to how they compare?

I know these questions are very specific, so thanks to anyone that can give me any info!

Back