Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TONE - A SUBJECTIVE ISSUE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are admitting to our guilty pleasures! There is a band that I have followed since 1979 [besides 64', my favorite year for music} Dont laugh, The Knack! They are still touring in the states with three original members. Everyone knows the Get The Knack album{My Sharona} but they are still producing new product CD's and a performance video like the old Shindig , or for you guys across the pond Ready,Steady,Go! it's titled "Live From The Rock and Roll Funhouse" Original drummer Bruce Gary plays with Jack Bruce and produced many of the later Hendrix volumes. He was replaced at one time by Terry Bozio. If you like Power Pop check out 98's Re-Zoom. Berton Averre is a monster Les Paul player! That's my guilty pleasure...what's yours? TG
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way , I saw Peter Frampton last Saturday at an outdoor festival in Dallas. He's still got it, and a great guy! Got to meet him after the show hanging out with his family at my friends restaurant. I don't consider him a guilty pleasure, I know his past in Brittan with The Herd, but I love Humble Pie and the "Framptons Camel" record. "Rockin The Fillmore" the contrast between him and Steve soloing was what made the band, Clemson sounded too much like Marriott and they lost the fire! My Humble Opinion! I could be wrong! TG
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Trapeze fans? When Glen left for Deep Purple he was replaced by Pete Wright. Pete has worked here in Dallas as a waiter in one of the cities top restaurants for the last 20 years! When Dave Holland of Judas Priest would come to town back in the Screaming for Vengance days we would all go to the hit the strip bars...That was a whole lifetime ago! TG
Lee

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHANGALANG!!!

Barry

Wow Amos Garrett! Where's that gig? If you get to speak to him, ask him if he still has that tasty Ibanez Artist they made for him back in the 70's. The guys on the Ibanez Collectors World site would love to know a little about that guitar and where it is now.

Not sure what Big Jim is up to these days.

TG

In my opinion, Glen Hughes has the best voice in Rock and the next best voice to Michael McDonald. Both TONE masters you might say.

Speaking of Purple/Trapeze, how do you rate the late and great Tommy Bolin's TONE?
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Bolin! Yeah thats another! Saw him the night he died in Miami, opened for Jeff Beck. Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" is my favorite TB record then "Gang Bang" by the James Gang. I saw a CD yesterday a compilation with TB playing a vintage Les Paul, never saw him play one. The Strat and Explorer were the ones I remember. Was not much of a fan of his solo stuff, he needed other great players to make him shine. I'm so old I saw him with his Colorado band Zepher and one time as Albert Kings second guitar player. And we are still on the topic of tone! Nice Thread! TG
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting

What about Tony Peluso's ground breaking fuzz solo on the Carpenters 'Goodbye to Love' and the similar fuzz tone solo that was used on 'Boogie Oogie Oogie' by A Taste of Honey (or was that a Bass). Incidently, that solo has a nice bum note near the end that I still include when we play the song just to make it sound more authentic .

Speaking of which nobodys perfect, including my hero Mr. Lukather who perfectly demonstrates the art of playing a great bum note near the end of his 16 bar solo in the Bozz Scaggs song 'Break Down Dead Ahead'. Great TONE though and one of the mans best solos.
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Lukather, here in the states we have late night talk/entertainment shows and last night on the Jimmy Kimmel Show Lukather was the house bands special guest. Is he still married to one of the Currie sisters? If so he is a very lucky man! TG
Lee

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT!!

You're gonna have to tape the re-run and send me a copy.
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the new Allman Brothers CD this week and it's the best thing I have heard in a long time! The songs ,the playing ,production...Warren Haynes is a monster player, and has a great voice. He and Derick Trucks are an awsome combo! I burned a copy for Mrs.Tokaiguy and she said it's the best thing she's heard since Gary Moore's "After Hours". WE are still talkin bout Tone! TG
Lee

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another dodgy sound came from the solo in the middle of Lionel Richie's "Easy".

NG's solo in "Wonderwall" has a similar tizz to it.

Gary Moore's "G-Force" album was full of what sounded like DI straight into the mixing desk sounds. I kind of liked it at the time and in the long run his playing on the record certainly made up for it.
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Isley's playing on "Who's that lady" makes my ears want to cough, but in a good way. Another favorite sound is the guitar solo and fills on the old Skylark song "Wild flower" I think these songs have to fall under the guilty pleasures catagorie! TG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: