Tokai .38 Special

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suki

Reaction score
Does anyone have any accurate info on the .38 Special?

I think they have grey bottomed H stamped pickups, and I've only seen them with the post-84 script logos and always with matching headstocks.

Does anyone have a definitive date when these were built? And how do the H pickups compare with the U/E/V's?

I'm doing a restoration job on one at the moment. It's a bit of a nostalgia trip for me as I had one a long while ago.

The information I have manage to put together is:

Production appears to run 1982-1984. The early ones have 7okai logo while later ones have Tokai script logo and 38 special in "digital" font. All matching headstock with split post tuners

I've seen 7okai badged ones in metallic red and blue. Later ones I have seen in blonde and red.

Pickups are grey bottom with H stamps and the tone pot provides push pull function that activates the bridge pickup in all positions.

The one I am working on has a 473Z rated ceramic cap 250K volume pot. The tone pot fitted to mine is not original and 500K so cannot provide info re original unit.

Body is routed S-S-S. I have no idea of the body wood - it's quite light so I am guessing alder.

I have taken a set of images documenting my restoration process and the working of the guitar and will post of there is interest

Latest posts

Back