1973 Greco FV500 & FV900 specs

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russian Vadim

Reaction score
Hi gang! Does anybody know the specs for these V replicas?

c003_07.jpg

Also what's your opinion on this FV?

97v4.jpg

g1mh.jpg

nxf1.jpg

sh4f.jpg

vfr9.jpg

cqk8.jpg

g48l.jpg

8lsk.jpg

lccz.jpg

I'm thinking it's a modded FV500. The seller says the pickups are Dry Z. Weren't only hi-end models being equipped with Dry Z's?

A couple of Medallion replicas (FV900s) also seem to have a 2piece body while this supposedly FV500 definitely has a 1piece body.

Also what are the specs of FV600 and when they were produced? Are all of them (FV500, 600, 900) finished in poly?

It's a FV600WR model. In 1978, FV900 model is the '58 replica (the "Korina" looking model).

Pickups were originaly the U-1000 models (and on the FV900, they were the U-2000).

le juge said:
It's a FV600WR model. In 1978, FV900 model is the '58 replica (the "Korina" looking model).

Pickups were originaly the U-1000 models (and on the FV900, they were the U-2000).

So was only FV900 at any given year finished in nitro? And also why does a '73 FV900 Medallion looks to be two-piece body while this FV600WR looks like a one-piece?

How did you manage to date it? Is there a database with Greco models and serial numbers somewhere? All I've found was a couple catalogs in Japanese.

Vadim, Fujigen guitars from this period are dated by the serial number. First letter is the month followed by 2 digits for the production year. ;)

Russian Vadim said:
le juge said:

So was only FV900 at any given year finished in nitro? And also why does a '73 FV900 Medallion looks to be two-piece body while this FV600WR looks like a one-piece?

How did you manage to date it? Is there a database with Greco models and serial numbers somewhere? All I've found was a couple catalogs in Japanese.

According to the price and the model, body should be a 2 or 3 pieces with a polyurethan finish.

Thanks for answers, guys. Although it's like you're teasing me with little bits :) so I will go ahead and ask what I'm after:

1) Were '71 Gibson Medallion Flying V replicas which in the '73 Greco catalog go by the model number FV900 finished in nitro? Also What pickups had they had?

2) that '78 FV600 has a Sapele (African Mahogany), right?

P.S. Maybe my eyes deceive me but this looks an awful lot a one-piece body. Or is it like a '78 FV900 Korina - that has this sort of pancake body where the pieces are glued on top of one another (see the bottom pic)?

sh4f.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

It's difficult to see the seam lines on the back. Sometimes, the grain of the wood is the same but if you can check the egdes, you can easily see a seam.

Because of the shape of the body, the Vs are often 2 pieces or 3 pieces body.
The late 70's greco are multi-pieces body.

le juge said:
It's difficult to see the seam lines on the back. Sometimes, the grain of the wood is the same but if you can check the egdes, you can easily see a seam.

Because of the shape of the body, the Vs are often 2 pieces or 3 pieces body.
The late 70's greco are multi-pieces body.

Yep, I've looked closed at another pic of that '78 FV600 and yep it's definitely not a 1-piece.

But what about '73-74 FV900 which is a replica of a 1971 Gibson Medallion Flying V? Nitro or poly? As far as the body it looks like a 2-piece but at certain angles looks even like a 3-piece.

oxh6.jpg

1c1d.jpg

Back