Is this an ST-80 Springy Sound?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E pups, tokai body codes, 80 sticker on the neck, i'd say its an 80. I suppose the only thing left would be to see if the neck and body have matching codes to be absolutely sure.

Thanks for the reply. One thing that looked strange to me were the side dots. I thought they we always split 50/50, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean by 50/50 side dots, but from the routing, body codes and the springy sound/Tokai headstock sticker, it looks kosher, i'm not an expert, especially on springy's but since it has a 80 sticker and not a fretboard stamp it would seem this ones a younger springy. It looks to be in great shape though !!!

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

Like I said I could be wrong, but I thought the fret markers on the side were usually half on the maple, and half on the rosewood.

Yeah the guitar is genuine enough but bad news about the shag pile it`s a pretty obvious fake :( Gabe.

I'm thinking about buying this. Is the price reasonable? It would be my first ST.

edit: I just bought it :)

Thanks!

I had a Fullerton strat years ago and always regretted selling it. I have a feeling this guitar will be every bit its equal if not better.

A red Fullerton Vintage would cost over $3,000, so...

Nitro finish,

V neck,

rosewood board (Brazilian?). :D

nice belly cut

Let us know how nice it is. I almost pulled the trigger several times. I bought a maple two tone burst ST80 a few months ago. I really wanted a rosewood board. I'll probably regret not buying it :)

Hi guys

This really is a gorgeous Springy. April 1981 build, 1963 replica with an ash body instead of alder. E pickups and 7 digit number. Nitro lacquer over a Metallic Red paint and nicely aged and faded.
It should have a 'C' neck, not a 'V' - they were for 54-57 replicas with maple necks or some custom models (eg TE-120 R).
With the side markers, their positioning is correct. The 50/50 you talked about was used on "slab" boards ['59-62] but this is a veneer board. I don't think it's Brazilian, probably A-grade Indian that has darkened and matured over the last 32 years.
I believe this guitar would sound awesome, both acoustically and plugged in.
Congratulations on a superb vintage timepiece.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys

This really is a gorgeous Springy. April 1981 build, 1963 replica with an ash body instead of alder. E pickups and 7 digit number. Nitro lacquer over a Metallic Red paint and nicely aged and faded.
It should have a 'C' neck, not a 'V' - they were for 54-57 replicas with maple necks or some custom models (eg TE-120 R).
With the side markers, their positioning is correct. The 50/50 you talked about was used on "slab" boards ['59-62] but this is a veneer board. I don't think it's Brazilian, probably A-grade Indian that has darkened and matured over the last 32 years.
I believe this guitar would sound awesome, both acoustically and plugged in.
Congratulations on a superb vintage timepiece.

Peter Mac

Peter,

How common are slab board ST-80's? Do they crop up often?

Not really. Some ST-80's did get them apparently but the only 2 I've seen have both been ST-70's.
The ST-80 R was always defined as a "'64 model" which meant a veneer board and the vast majority I have seen or played from all years certainly had veneer boards. Most of the slab boards that I have heard about seem to be from around '81. I'm sure other Forum members could help out here.

However the '82-84 TST-62 and 85-up AST-62 -both for the U.S. market - did have them. In 1983 the TST-62 had a RRP of US$775.00

Peter Mac

Hi Sig,

To elaborate, Tokai necks were generally shaped after the Fendah Year they are replicating. The fingerboards are the indicator.
Maple 1-piece : 1952 - 56 V neck + skunk
Maple 1-piece : 1957 - 59 U neck + skunk
R'wood Slab : 1959 - 62 U neck = no skunk
R'wood Vnr : 1963 - 64 C neck = no skunk

R'wood Vnr : 1965 -70 A, B, or C neck [stamp] no skunk
Maple Veneer : 1965 -70 A, B, or C neck [stamp] no skunk

In Fendah terms, no 'V' neck ever had a R'wood veneer board and no R'wood board ever had a skunk stripe or round string tree.

Tokai kinda mixed some of these features together up to 1981 in one form or another but by 1982 the replicas were spot on, down to the serial number. Personally I prefer V necks. I did own a TE-120 GSR with a V r'wood veneer on heavily flamed maple neck. My #1 Springy 'Sandrita' has a V maple neck and I've had it since 1982

Peter Mac

Interesting. I had a Fullerton Strat with a rosewood board and V neck.

Hii Sig,

Was your Fullerton strat made before 1980?

It was my understanding that Fendah only used "V' necks on the Eric Clapton and Jimmy Vaughan Signiture models.
I don't know for sure as my field was always the pre-71 models.

Peter Mac

Thanks Peter. It was a 1983.

Maybe we are calling different things "V"s? The pic above is from my Fullerton.

The seller of the ST80 states its a "V" neck. I will have it in a little over a week after I get back in town and can give a report. :0

Back