Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fretboard inlay types

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markcus58
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Fretboard inlay types Reply with quote

I was cruising the specs on different Japanese LS models and noticed that some inlays are listed as "dish" and some as "dish amber cell". What is the difference other than the amber cell are on the higher end LS guitars..

Another neck issue is that some list neck edge binding, some not. Yet all the ones I looked at have edge binding. Guess I'm trying to understand what defines the good from the better on necks.

thanks
Ibanez RG 2006 Puzzle top
Fujigen NCTL20 chosen at Matsumoto factory
Fujigen EFL
'03 Brazilian L.P.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the LS models have neck binding, i think you mean fret edge binding which is only on the high end models. My inlays are Abalone as well, here is a pic of my LS-180 neck with fret edge binding and Abalone inlays also this guitar has an ebony fretboard.

Hope this helps.

Mick
markcus58
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see now what is meant by the "fret edge" binding. Looks like a bit of good work to get that finished out well. How secure is that tab of binding ? Do you need to be careful not to break one off or does the adhesive anchor them pretty well ?

Back to the inlay question...what defines "dish" ? Is this a material, style of cut or ????
Fujigen EFL
'03 Brazilian L.P.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "nibs" on the end of the frets are very stable, they don't move even when pushed. The "dish" is the shape of the inlays on the LP standards style guitars, the customs have "block" style inlays.

Mick
markcus58
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mick..
So dished is the shape and the options are material / color. I quickly read about changing them on the LP forum. Seems not too bad for someone with time and a bit of skill & proper tools.
Inorder to go that route there has to be a really superior inlay material replicating a '59. Any ideas if there is such a thing available ?
Fujigen EFL
'03 Brazilian L.P.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not too sure but mother of pearl is widely used, it may have even been used on the early Gibbo's. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of Gibson that i will help out.

Mick
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
The "nibs" on the end of the frets are very stable, they don't move even when pushed.

They are, however, completely pointless.

Mike
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheeky bugger....

Mick
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
I am not too sure but mother of pearl is widely used, it may have even been used on the early Gibbo's. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of Gibson that i will help out.

Mick

I think by the time the LP appeared at Gibson MOP was dead and gone except for high end guitars. It was not used on the bursts - it was acrylic (plastic) of a certain mix which is no longer made, but some boutique people have replicated it or found NOS material to make the inlays again. Of course the acrylic was made to look a bit like MOP.

Uncle Lou makes replica inlays and tuner buttons for the 58 - 60 burst LPs. The inlays are about USD $150 and the buttons $120, so not cheap but small run niche product, and thems the brakes. People (burst LP fanatics) do say they are the best replica parts you can buy.

I think RS Guitar Works have/had a cheaper option, you may have to email them to find out. Interestingly RS found a sheet of Nylon from the 50's which was what the original LP nuts were made of. This formulation of Nylon is no longer made, and the nut blanks they cut from it sold out very quickly.
markcus58
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look up the Uncle Lou Vintagecheckout inlays. they look good compared to photos of original LP's 'cept for age coloring. I guess given a number of years the celluloid nitrate material made now will color too. I think I may go this route and swap them out. If I can get good instruction will try this endeavor myself. I am never one to shy away from a task and have done similar activaties thru my years.

Uncle Lou has period correct tuner tips too (will this ever end ??) Might just as well get them too. I have replaced the supplied Tiawan tuners with the SD90 Gotohs and having the corect tips will add a bit more to the mystique.

Here is a pic of my inlays

===============================================
Here is a pic of Vintage inlays

There is a noticeable difference and I wonder why Tokai did not use a material that more closely resembles the the celluloid nitrate pattern. Cost I guess as that factors into most decisions.
Fujigen EFL
'03 Brazilian L.P.
Mick51
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to point out the obvious: But, you do understand that any semi-translucent inlay material will look different when it is actually on/in the fingerboard, and backed by glue/adhesive? And then there is the issue of the filler around the inlay.

If the picture is a representative inlay on your board, it looks pretty darned good to me.
Goestoeleven
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always loved the double-trapezoid inlays of Gibson's Jazz guitars and the twin-neck SG that Jimmy Page used to play. Shame they weren't used on the LP.

I wouldn't mind a Love Rock with those on the neck!
markcus58
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Tokai did a great job with the inlays. The quality of workmanship cannot be questioned. That is not my issue though. The issue is that there is a big difference in the swirl patterns between the ones I have and the celluloid that I saw on vintage necks and these new replica inlays. In my opinion they are more attractive and distinctive.
For some reason I have decided this guitar is the one I will tinker with out of my lot. Being that Tokai crafted it after a '59 I intend to further that process. Within reason; I do not expect to strip the finish or install a longer tenon neck. But peices that can be swapped or changed I'll do. My "Project guitar" if you will.
Fujigen EFL
'03 Brazilian L.P.
markcus58
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: LP forum link Reply with quote

For others interested, here is a link to the LP forum that spells out the process for swapping inlays.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/custom-shop/9500-hcn-inlay-install-guided-tour-r7-r8-pics-3.html
Fujigen EFL
'03 Brazilian L.P.
mhoyoux
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !!

Can you explain me :

"Amber cell" (inlay) = synthetic OR organic material ...?

thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: