Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ST-50 The legend
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Javelin70,

you see, my typo - TST-40 is 1985, not 1986.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I have a 1982 Springy Sound (black, maple neck) bought from the original owner in Germany. Would it be possible to find out if it's a TST50 or 60? As I understand the difference is the pickups otherwise the spec seem to be the same. Same neck profile etc. The body seem to be made of 2 pieces. The original pickups had been replaced with SD SSL-1's, I managed to trade those for a set of Tokai E pickups which I use except for a DiMarzio FS-1 in the bridge position.

Mike
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Actually the pickups weren't the only difference.
Hardware for ST-50 was all chrome and solid colour bodies were 3 piece.
ST-60 were always centre seam 2 piece body with mostly nickel hardware. 1982 is a difficult Year for ST-60 as they transitioned between 1958 to 1954 [the neck became 'V' shape and serial # dropped from 5 digit to 4 digit]
What is the complete body stamp eg: 12=12 BB Z, etc?.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a 1958 model with a 5 digit serial and a rounded neck shape. I don't remember the codes but I'll se if I can see them if I loosen the pickguard. The body join is not centered but I can't find another join. Did they use center join also for the solid colors? The tuners look like nickel but the trem might be chrome, the saddles look like nickel, they are very rusty though. It has a steel block but also the ST50 has that. Most screws on the guitar are rusty as well.

Mike

Peter Mac wrote:
Hi Mike,

Actually the pickups weren't the only difference.
Hardware for ST-50 was all chrome and solid colour bodies were 3 piece.
ST-60 were always centre seam 2 piece body with mostly nickel hardware. 1982 is a difficult Year for ST-60 as they transitioned between 1958 to 1954 [the neck became 'V' shape and serial # dropped from 5 digit to 4 digit]
What is the complete body stamp eg: 12=12 BB Z, etc?.
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned an st40, st 50 and an st60. The biggest difference I found, was as Peter says 'the neck shape' of the '60' very subtle but you really can feel the soft v of the neck.
Best feeling and sounding guitar of the three, in my opinion, was the st 50, a lovely two tone golden burst, wish I had never let it go.
St 40 had the bar magnet pickups, so if yours has 'u' pups, or 'e' pups, and a round neck, it will be a '50'.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the soft v-neck, I have a bastard Tokai (early Goldstar, metallic red) TST50 with a TST60 or 80 v-neck (need to check if it's poly or laquer finish). I love that beaten up old strat. It has U pickups and a hotrail in the bridge position. The original neck was warped unfortunately.

jonah65 wrote:
I've owned an st40, st 50 and an st60. The biggest difference I found, was as Peter says 'the neck shape' of the '60' very subtle but you really can feel the soft v of the neck.
Best feeling and sounding guitar of the three, in my opinion, was the st 50, a lovely two tone golden burst, wish I had never let it go.
St 40 had the bar magnet pickups, so if yours has 'u' pups, or 'e' pups, and a round neck, it will be a '50'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: