1981 LS-100 solid flame top, faded VF (honeyburst)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greco_burst

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Love this guitar, which I have owned for a year now, and thought i would share this beauty of the burst, solid flame top, faded VF
I have upgraded with SD Antiquities and 60's knobs, I have kept the original DiMarzio PAF and knobs.

Before
zttnagisa-img448x600-13316466840cx1sq91244.jpg

zttnagisa-img600x448-1331646685dvxupl91244.jpg

After
duncan054_zps92cf530b.jpg

duncan0551_zpsee366c6f.jpg

Reflectors - nice! 1960 all the way.

Those original knobs look strange, like speed knobs? If so they would be mods?

Very realistic looking burst fade. (3rd pic especially)

Congrats ! ... and thanks for sharing pics of this beauty.

Thank you fella's

Yes the before pics from the seller in Japan had the speed knobs, original knobs in the case, i decided to put the reflector gold tops on and change pups to the sd's while i was at it for a more authentic look, love this Tokai so much its my daily player

A truly great guitar greco-burst, you got very lucky getting such piece.

I did so to a LS-50 i got, I just put double ring kluson tuners and reflector knobs.
Seth Lovers and PIO caps too and converted to 50s wiring. Old style wiring with old style leads and centralab pots. A keeper at 3,7 kgs with a great crunch sound.
My all purpouse guitar.

Beautiful guitar. I agree with replacing those speed knobs. They look odd on that guitar. Maybe Ibaenz knobs?

Just wondering how you would compare the Antiquities to the DiMarzios?

I have a 1981 LS120 with the DiMarzios and love that guitar so much it hurts. :D

So you got that one! Gorgeous is an understatement. I was extremely close to snagging that one when it was up for auction. Glad it stayed in the family!

Yeah very nice, I love mine which is a 1882 solid flame top. Wouldn't dream of changing the pickups though

Congrats

I had a Tudor Les Paul Lute copy from 1582 in Honeyburst. Sadly passed it on to the Victoria and Albert museum. That thing kicked ***, especially accompanied by the penny whistle.

That guitar looks great with those knobs!
So much so it inspired me to get a set on my 1985 LS 50/60 -
They are actually far more practical from a playing/control perspective.

It's starting to look a little like the new Joe Walsh Signature 60's Tangerine Burst Les Paul - sans flame of course.

18275_Joe_Walsh_60_Les_Paul_Aged_Tangerine_Burst_WALSH_067_a.jpg
:)

If you are planning to convert a Tokai to 60s specs, besides reflector knobs you can source turners (double ring klusons) from 1978-1980 Reborns/Reborn Old modes. I did so and swaped tuners with great results (double ring old Gotoh tuners weight a bit more because crafting).

Latest posts

Back